What is an XS650

ANXS650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So a weird question was presented to me that I couldn't answer. A relative of mine asked me what kind of bike my XS650 is. Is it a cruiser? is it a Cafe Racer? is it a sports bike?
I know people configure their bikes differently (choppers, bobbers, etc.) but aside from the handle bars, my bike is stock. So what is it???

So a weird question was presented to me that I couldn't answer. A relative of mine asked me what kind of bike my XS650 is. Is it a cruiser? is it a Cafe Racer? is it a sports bike?
I know people configure their bikes differently (choppers, bobbers, etc.) but aside from the handle bars, my bike is stock. So what is it???
It's what is considered a "standard".

Since your bike is a Special model, I would call it a cruiser, in fact one of the 1st ones made. Yamaha pretty much invented the factory custom or cruiser in 1978 when they came out with the 650 Special. Other makers were soon to follow, coming out with their own factory customs.

What is an XS650? Depends on what you want it to be. In the beginning, from 1970 to 1978 Yamaha built what would be considered a standard motorcycle, it was designed to follow the style of British twins that were dominant in the 50’s thru the early 70’s , characterized by an upright riding position with room for a passenger.
BF801B99-44F5-4516-AE75-3D4C3B20FCE5.jpeg
In 1978 the factory introduced their line of Specials, these were built to follow popular custom trends of the 70’s, with pull back buckhorn handlebars, a more teardrop shaped gas tank, an exhaust system with bell shaped megaphone mufflers and a stepped seat, and a fat 16” rear tire. it also included upgrades such as electronic ignition and rear disc brake. Some models also had mag wheels.
043907B2-D1EC-4E99-86B8-784C3671A955.jpeg

Over the years, XS650’s have been modified in just about every way conceivable, some of the more popular styles are,

Cafe racers are modified with non standard bodywork, low clip on or clubman style handlebars and rear set foot controls that get you down into that racers crouch that would be similar to todays sport bike riding position.
B00CD0F5-8FE7-479F-A606-9A2D98D8AD15.jpeg

Street trackers designed to mimic the look of flat track racers, in case you are too young to be familiar with 70’s era flat track racing, the legend Kenny Robert’s successfully campaigned a highly modified XS650. The styling cues here are, flat track racing bodywork, wide handlebars, performance suspension, performance engine mods, and custom exhaust.
24F22A07-C961-4969-BA01-137F3495F3A4.jpeg

Choppers were very 70’s and still have their fans, features include highly modified frames with hard tail rear ends increased rake in the steering heard, extended front end, high handlebars, custom seat, paint, and exhaust,
A08F59D7-33A8-4830-B1C5-B2FEFD6EE71B.jpeg

Bobbers, are stripped down to the bare essentials, often hard tailed.
C49B4129-8FBD-4205-AC3E-BB635454E238.jpeg

Brat style, also stripped down with suspension at both ends, custom exhaust, minimal handlebar controls and lighting and a thin , plank like seat.
6AFE69A3-7110-47CF-9566-1FC827F0E26D.jpeg

And customs can be ummm…….anything you can imagine.:rolleyes:
771BE987-E9A6-4F65-9DD3-8CA8929411DB.jpeg

In 1978 the factory introduced their line of Specials, these were built to follow popular custom trends of the 70’s, with pull back buckhorn handlebars, a more teardrop shaped gas tank, an exhaust system with bell shaped megaphone mufflers and a stepped seat, and a fat 16” rear tire. it also included upgrades such as electronic ignition and rear disc brake. Some models also had mag wheels.
043907B2-D1EC-4E99-86B8-784C3671A955.jpeg

Nice presentation Bob!

Here's a little story regarding Yamaha's development of the Special which came from my friend Jim Mignogna. In the 70's he was road racing an XS650 at Bryar Motorsports Park in Loudon, New Hampshire. I was racing an Enduro ("laydown") Formula Kart there, but we didn't know each other yet. Here is his bike:

1646935022257.png
1646935042993.png

Some folks may remember this classic track, which was years later made into New Hampshire International Speedway.

1646935151233.png
1646935221464.png

So, here is the story as Jim tells it:

One racing weekend in the 70's a Yamaha design team showed up at the track and wandered through the audience with 3-ring binders filled with graphic ideas for the new Special model design. They were asking all those interested to vote on which concepts they liked the best!

Oh, how I wish Jim had taken some photos!

HARLEY-DAVIDSON-Sportster-1000-9315_1.jpg

1976-1977 Sportster.
Interesting takes on the Specials. I always thought they were a very conscious challenge to the Sportster, at a time when it was embarrassing to ride a rice burner and real men rode Harleys. The Special's tear-drop tank, stepped seat, pull-back bars, and incremental blacking-out were all an attempt to make the bike look more like a Harley, or so I've always thought.

What is an XS650? Depends on what you want it to be. In the beginning, from 1970 to 1978 Yamaha built what would be considered a standard motorcycle, it was designed to follow the style of British twins that were dominant in the 50’s thru the early 70’s , characterized by an upright riding position with room for a passenger.
View attachment 209389
View attachment 209390

Over the years, XS650’s have been modified in just about every way conceivable, some of the more popular styles are,

Cafe racers are modified with non standard bodywork, low clip on or clubman style handlebars and rear set foot controls that get you down into that racers crouch that would be similar to todays sport bike riding position.
View attachment 209391

Street trackers designed to mimic the look of flat track racers, in case you are too young to be familiar with 70’s era flat track racing, the legend Kenny Robert’s successfully campaigned a highly modified XS650. The styling cues here are, flat track racing bodywork, wide handlebars, performance suspension, performance engine mods, and custom exhaust.
View attachment 209392

Choppers were very 70’s and still have their fans, features include highly modified frames with hard tail rear ends increased rake in the steering heard, extended front end, high handlebars, custom seat, paint, and exhaust,
View attachment 209393

Bobbers, are stripped down to the bare essentials, often hard tailed.
View attachment 209394

Brat style, also stripped down with suspension at both ends, custom exhaust, minimal handlebar controls and lighting and a thin , plank like seat.
View attachment 209395

And customs can be ummm…….anything you can imagine.:rolleyes:
View attachment 209397
Amazing presentation. Thank you so much!

View attachment 209413
1976-1977 Sportster.
Interesting takes on the Specials. I always thought they were a very conscious challenge to the Sportster, at a time when it was embarrassing to ride a rice burner and real men rode Harleys. The Special's tear-drop tank, stepped seat, pull-back bars, and incremental blacking-out were all an attempt to make the bike look more like a Harley, or so I've always thought.
There has always been a strong argument for that.

1646947787761.png
1646947826938.png

at a time when it was embarrassing to ride a rice burner and real men rode Harleys

Huh?? Not sure who you are talking about. Please don't include me in you sociological take on motorcycling history. For 54 years I have been proudly riding Japanese (and other) bikes with my friends on the same. And I've always regarded the majority (not all of them, not all of them) of harley owners as being "Little Dicks" and followers. In my mind, the "harley riders as real men" persona is one really big farce promulgated by ad men and Hollywood. Ha! :laugh2:

Last edited:
Comparing the XS650 first year spaecial...........And the change in looks by 83. ....................Think the 78 does have similar looks but that had changed a lot by 83
1646950290735.png
XS650SE_02.jpg

..................................................................................................................................................................................83US
1646950560574.png
philhudson2.jpg

.........................................................................................................................................................................................83 Canadian
1646950595180.png
Canadian.jpg

Huh?? Not sure who you are talking about. Please don't include me in you sociological take on motorcycling history. For 54 years I have been proudly riding Japanese (and other) bikes with my friends on the same. And I've always regarded the majority (not all of them, not all of them) of harley owners as being "Little Dicks" and followers. In my mind, the "harley riders as real men" persona is one really big farce promulgated by ad men and Hollywood. Ha! :laugh2:

Fine, you're not included in my sociological take.
In 1979 I was stationed in San Diego. This was Hell's Angels territory at a time when they were very visible. I had a 1976 Honda CB550, and a small handful of my shipmates also had bikes. We endured constant crap from the one guy on the ship who had a Sportster, and we were all jealous of him, but a Sportster was too expensive, plus they needed constant fixing. I used to go on open rally rides on weekends, they were eclectic, everyone from 1%ers to me on my Hondo, and yeah, it was embarrassing. I had a non-Navy friend with a Triumph, still not a Harley, but at least it wasn't Jap. He got way more respect.

In the 70's NZ, Triumphs were the bike of choice. Problem was it was the bike of choice Bikie gangs used before the Harly's become the bike of choice.........Choice

Lots of people aspired to having a Triumph, problem was unless you were a bikie the chances of keeping it from being stolen by bikies was slim to none, and because of that insurance was near impossible to get.

Then the Harley took over and triumphs wern't up the top of the list for stolen bikes..........guess what was...........Yep Harley's. They were becoming, the want to have bike, but again they ended up as parts for the bikie gangs

From then on and By the late mid to late 80's the, "hemen", who had their triumphs or Harley's, would always refer the UJM's to Jap crap, and have a snigger...........

Bought my 83XS650 in 1990 and going up to the late 90's and people who i thought well of would still snigger and use the jap crap phrase...........Thing was if i asked where their bike was, often i wouldn't get an answer or they would walk away or change the subject.............It was funny, especially if i know their bike was down for repairs again or still in pieces from years ago.

Last edited:
Back