What is it worth?

gonzomn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I,m new to the board and I'm looking for a xs650 to turn into a bobber.

I ran across this add & was wondering what people thought.

Not running & the middle of winter here, I think it is overpriced, but I wanted to see what you thought it was worth.

"Looking to sell my 1980 xs650 chopper. Has a TC Bros hardtail and forward controls,Peanut tank, Drag Pipes, 14 inch ape hangers, solo seat, Rear drum brake, Front disc breaks, spoked wheels, side mount license plate bracket. bike does not currently run cause it needs an ignition module. looking to get $2,500 or best offer.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 3k53o43pd5T45U35X6acr41b23d3e4c951748.jpg
    3k53o43pd5T45U35X6acr41b23d3e4c951748.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 3k93pb3o05T05X25R1acrc3dd3a9d4e0716ec.jpg
    3k93pb3o05T05X25R1acrc3dd3a9d4e0716ec.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 3me3oc3lf5O55U25P0acr66c59061008e1ff9.jpg
    3me3oc3lf5O55U25P0acr66c59061008e1ff9.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 3n83kf3pb5Z25T25P5acr02752574192c1a71.jpg
    3n83kf3pb5Z25T25P5acr02752574192c1a71.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 129
Well the works already done. Trust me to do one right its gonna cost at least that much to do it on the cheap depending on cost. It really depends on how honest the seller is about the not running issue. Go look at it ask about title And low ball him on price see if he bites. He's got well over a grand in parts maybe closer to 1500.

if your handy with bikes...offer him....$1,000 and dont pay more then $1,500. Maybe with a few hundred dollars you can do alot of work to the bike...non running bikes have too many unknowns....thats my feelings..

it would be really sweet if one of us in your area could loan a workink 'ign module' to you.
sounds like the hard work is already done, but a non-runner...yeah. scary. lowball him. if he gripes at 1k, give him your phone number, and wait for his call.

I saw that one on craigslist too, he is just wanting to make a little profit. I'd offer him $1,000, he probably will say no but he will be sitting with the bike until he gets it fixed.

Just heard back from the guy. He has a title, but not in his name. Told myself I would never buy another car / bike without a clear title in the sellers name. I think I'll keep looking.

It looked decent enough but I'm with you on the title deal. "Can get a title easy". If it's so easy why don't THEY get it? Always cracks me up. Or "easy to fix." Same thing.

Not sure how the title deal works in your area but... I wouldn't close the door just yet. I have bought at least three or four bikes with titles that were not in the the person's name that I was buying it from. The daily rider i have is in someone else's name right now. I know the guy whose name its in and when I have the time, extra cash and have to go to the department of hell I'll do it.....But I have bought bikes from people I don't know with titles in someone eleses name and had no problem. You just have to know what your state laws are and what your doing. If it is anything like the process in texas it is pretty simple verify the bike isn't stolen and dosen't have a lein. Then just sign for the original owner(i didn't say that...that's illegal... nor have I ever done it.....).
Agree on a price and tell them as long as you can verify that the bike has never been reported stolen and dosen't have a lein you'll buy. If it has has been registered and tagged in your state it's easy its when it hasn't that the headache begins. If you wanna give me more details and want some help on this let me know through a P.M. I have time I don't go back to school until the 18th(working a teaching degree 8-12 grade science).
The title work is not a problem it's the easiest issue to fix and is easiest answer to find out with this bike right now. Asking the right questions and making the right phone calls will fix that issue and shouldn't cost any money till after buying. What I would be worried about is"Is this guy bullshitting me about what's wrong with the bike. Is it gonna be more than he is telling me?"
I have bought roughly 20 used bikes on my own and have worked for a dealership for about 15 years and dealt with title issues in Texas in a dealership capacity for about 3 years. So i know a little bit about getting shit done. Here's the number one secret thats worth more than any other I can give. Be as nice as possible And only give the information they ask.
Alot of people will tell you what a pain in the ass this is but there is a lot of reasons behind it. They had to wait to long...Ohh they told me I didn't have the right paper work....or they were assholes ...the excuses pile up. Well i can't say i haven't had to deal with a asshole at a government ran department but I can say that being nice to them no matter what has had them give me the right paper work and even help me fill it out or in the least softened up a asshole( i know that sounds gay but it's true) for help.

I say it is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it ... and what time you are willing to put in getting a title ...

One more good thing about the great state of Maine LOL NO TITLE REQUIRED or ISSUEDfor vehicles over 15 years old ... meaning I could buy a bike car etc out of state that is over 15 years old without a title and still have no issues registering it.

I always laugh and say to them, "You did all this work and spent all this money, but didn't get the title changed?... Why?" I will never buy anything that is not in the sellers name again. There are a thousand people that say it's easy to change and such,(no offense to anyone), but why couldn't the owner just go do it?

Tell the guy you will reimburse him for the title fee...and make him do it. Then see what he says.

In Delaware you have to take the bike through inspection just to get a title due to so many thefts. They want to see the VIN. And if you get pulled over, you better damn sight have a registration card in your name. I think in Pensylvania it's illegal to have an "open" title.

It's just more appealing to a buyer when the title is clean.

There are so many things I've slightly overpaid for, then a couple years later a good price for the thing is considerably more than what I paid.

Good...as long as it's not inflation....

Back