I agree on the just sell it bit by bit for parts assuming there is any need for what's left.

My question is what was the price for something like that?

What you need to do is get rid of that piece of crap if you can find someone to take it off your hands. Send me your address and I will save you from yourself....

tim

I have a poor internet connection so I can't see the pics well, but from what others have said I believe it would be salvagable if you wanted to invest 5 to 7 thousand dollars in it as well as several years of work. you could have something to ride.
If not I might suggest getting another XS650 and use this one for parts. If you pull the carbs and use the kick starter and check compression and find it has 125 lbs or better on each side then the engine will probably run. Once you do that www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf can help you clean up the carbs. If you have all the parts to put together an ignition then you can wire up the ignition with a battery and see if it runs.
Doing all this won't cost much more than time.
This might be worth doing even if you just kept it for parts. Nice to have a running engine if you need one.
Up in the TECH section you can find the electrical heaing and find some wiring diagrams. #4 is a simple diagram that can help you wire up just the ignition.
If it runs you can use the same diagram to wire up the charging system to see if it works. Also nice to have the parts if you need them.
Again this can be done for not much more than time.
Good luck on how ever you choose .
Leo

I have a whole rear clip from a 1981. It was cut the same place yours was for a hardtail. That's if you wanna go a stock direction, cafe, street tracker, etc. To me for your first bike, it depends on $ of course. Most importantly your skill level. Tools and equipment you have or have access to. I bought a stand first for tire removal. Then I ended up buying a lift. That lead to buying a hoist. I literally hang bikes like a deer carcass. Haha.. Anyway if you're interested in the rear clip I have one just PM me. Trust me, I won't ask much for it.

This is why so many of us sigh when someone gets on here and says they want to hardtail their XS650. Once the sawzall cools down reality sets in and the result is what you see here. I'm with the others who say look for something unmolested. Life is too sort to waste trying to fix someone else's mistakes.

This is why so many of us sigh when someone gets on here and says they want to hardtail their XS650. Once the sawzall cools down reality sets in and the result is what you see here. I'm with the others who say look for something unmolested. Life is too sort to waste trying to fix someone else's mistakes.

Now if someone wants to hack away at a frame I have a 1972 with no title and a 1981 with a title both are nasty and rusty but at least you would not be destroying a good frame. Then when you get bored you could give the parts and the good frame to someone who actually wants a rideable motorcycle!

I have a poor internet connection so I can't see the pics well, but from what others have said I believe it would be salvagable if you wanted to invest 5 to 7 thousand dollars in it as well as several years of work. you could have something to ride.
If not I might suggest getting another XS650 and use this one for parts. If you pull the carbs and use the kick starter and check compression and find it has 125 lbs or better on each side then the engine will probably run. Once you do that www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf can help you clean up the carbs. If you have all the parts to put together an ignition then you can wire up the ignition with a battery and see if it runs.
Doing all this won't cost much more than time.
This might be worth doing even if you just kept it for parts. Nice to have a running engine if you need one.
Up in the TECH section you can find the electrical heaing and find some wiring diagrams. #4 is a simple diagram that can help you wire up just the ignition.
If it runs you can use the same diagram to wire up the charging system to see if it works. Also nice to have the parts if you need them.
Again this can be done for not much more than time.
Good luck on how ever you choose .
Leo
I think i might follow your advice on checking compression and see where that takes me.

I paid $400 for it. From the replies sounds like i overpaid hehehe

The jury is still out if that was to much not knowing the prices in the US .. And it is not uncommon to do a bad deal when it comes to used Motorcycles
At least I have done them .. Ending up in the garage ..with more work and the " Lemon bite look "
If this was me I would look for a straight frame with papers swing and rear springs. and so.
Preferably with swing bushings in shape.
( Or a complete second bike )
With that Then Something can be done by Someone. At some Point in time.
If you don't use it the frame can be resold and parts are rarely getting cheaper over time.
If you proceed
You will take out the engine for servicing and or welding then it might as well be installed in a ready frame.
I have seldom seen hardtail bikes being driven many miles. If you ask me it is a lot of job for little results.

Back