what is the best pma kit to buy

I have gotten one from Hugh in the past and just ordered another one yesterday ironically for my new project, the first one went in without much of a hitch. I did get a little confused by my own stupidity but I contacted Hugh for clarification, and within 48 hours of receiving it in the mail i had the bike running. Plus he wrote directions on these forums so i feel compelled to buy from him since he did all that work and making my life so much easier trying to figure this all out when i first did the swap.

What i ordered: http://hughshandbuilt.com/products-services/xs650-permanent-magnet-alternator-conversion/

Hugh's Directions:http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5536

I built mine piece by piece..

Banshee Flywheel - $85
Flywheel Puller (Banshee) - $18
VF500/ and Ebay Reg (Both didn't work) - $35
ZX600 Stator - $35
Hugh's Regulaor - $42
Hugh's PMA Swap Kit - $35

Another Pamco (Pete saved me and Hooked it the fuck up!) - $10, Should have been $100..

So, even with the Pamco, you save a condiserable amount, but, ontop of broken Parts, I got all my stuff throughout my build... these weren't parts I found cheap in a week. Waited forever for a good Banshee Flywheel sale and it never happened.. still paid a decent amount.. but the timing of the spending fit my budget. The hog would still not be running now if i needed to drop some bills on a Hugh's Kit. Ended up using a Bad Regulator off a VF500 and fried my Pamco.. It's Hugh's Reg that i bought separately that solved my problem... His works properly. If I had the money initially, I would have bought the kit.. again and again.

Just bought & fitted hugh's P M A bought Hughs because I thought I'd get a puller but missed the cut apparntly,whilst seaching localy for a puller was directed to the "Two Stroke Shop"he had a puller & was keen to cheek out my rotor & stator he advised me to have it balanced which he done for me, had to drill 16 indendtions to get it right,he also applied 3 extra coats to the stator just for good measure,not to sure if was totaly nessary but he reacons that I'f you exseed 5000rpm the balance factor starts multerplying enough to consider this,have started the bike & finaly got some decent volts but havent tested on the road yet,will keep you posted,the only thing that disapointed me that the keyway on the rotor is bigger than the 650 key,wish Hugh had gone a few more yards with this & stamped a timing mark on it,yes you can put your own on, but with no key once you remove it for some reason you back to square one & will have to create a new one,might try & get a key machined up to fix this.When the rotor was balanced the sticker was removed as it block's the 6 holes that provide venterlation(the stator does produce heat)will try & get some miles up in the near future to test the set up take care & have safe Xmas

Back