What is the eye to eye length of rear shocks from a 77 xs650?

tbone1980

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 1982 xs650SJ that I am looking to swap out the dorky reflector rear suspension for a pair from a 77 xs650 and was wondering what the eye to eye length is? Also this should be a direct swap right? Thanks for your help!

Yes, but you're swapping "bad" for "just as bad". Original shocks weren't much good when new let alone 30+ years later.

Thank you for the input. As of now I really don't have a ton of cash to get better ones so I was looking for something to "look" better than what I got now for $50 and hopefully sometime in the future I can get some "improved" ones!

I'm pretty sure you can take the covers off your original ones for free.

I'm pretty sure you can. You can on most other shocks. In fact, I "steal" the nice alloy covers off old BMW shocks and put them on most of my aftermarket shocks like so .....

BMWShockSpringCovers.jpg

Polished alloy looks so nice and run on my BMWs, the aftermarket shocks look practically just like the originals.

These are original 83 Heritage Special shocks after the reflector covers have been removed .

Attachments

• 2011-04-06 21.59.22.jpg
    2011-04-06 21.59.22.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 2011-04-06 21.59.49.jpg
    2011-04-06 21.59.49.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 118
Shock spring removal tool. This is dangerous, wear gloves, wear your helmet with the shield down.

Floor jack, chain, 2 wire S hooks. I removed the S hooks from a rubber truck bungee.

-Place the chain perpendicular under the floor jack to make a T.
-Hold the shock upright on the pan of the jack.
-Put the S hooks on opposite sides of the spring as near the top as possible.
-Connect the chain to each S hook so the chain loops directly under the shock.
-Pump up the jack while keeping the shock balanced upright against the compressing spring.
-Remove the keeper and the cover.
-Either repalce the keeper now or relax the jack to clean and paint the shock while it's disassembled.

This is my own invention so if you see it anywhere else they got it from me or thought it up on their own.

Tom Graham

Back