what is the socket size for the bolt that hold the gas tank down?

bret

'81 Special
Reaction score
I need to remove my gas tank. If I remember correctly all you have to do is remove the one bolt. What is the size of that bolt?

Thanks,
Bret

1 bolt, two fuel lines, two vacuum lines. You might want to have a length of fuel line and a gas can handy because the petcocks may be leaky. It's probably easier to drain the gas tank while it's still on the bike.

6mm x 16mm bolt so 10mm head

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    3.3 KB · Views: 52
1 bolt, two fuel lines, two vacuum lines

He says '81 so just one ea. fuel line and vac. Push the fuel off with a screwdriver and pop the vac off at the intake.

Here's the tricky part. Because this bolt is easy to get to, people have been known to tighten it so much it breaks off.... So easy on the elbow grease. In my experience the easy to get to small dia. fasteners are the ones a po has messed up...

Last edited:
Be careful when you remove the tank. You have to "pop" the rubber buffers out of the cups on the frame top tube. It is easier to lift up the rear of the tank while pulling back to remove it. A little leverage, BUT you will jam the front part of the tank into the frame head and it can dent it if you are not careful.

Be careful when you remove the tank. You have to "pop" the rubber buffers out of the cups on the frame top tube. It is easier to lift up the rear of the tank while pulling back to remove it. A little leverage, BUT you will jam the front part of the tank into the frame head and it can dent it if you are not careful.

that's why you put your fingers in the way, tearing a little hide off your knuckles is a small price to pay for a un-chipped/dented tank :laugh: shedding blood for the cause since I picked up my first wrench

that's why you put your fingers in the way, tearing a little hide off your knuckles is a small price to pay for a un-chipped/dented tank :laugh: shedding blood for the cause since I picked up my first wrench

We jest about this, but this what I literally do. If I ever damaged the very respectably preserved original paint/graphics on my '73's tank, I would cry real tears, guaranteed.

TC

ok so i got to the part where the cable goes down into the engine box. what am i supposed to do here? i feel like i'm not supposed to just yank it out..

Back