WHAT.....IS......THIIIIS?!?!?!

teionjames

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the reason why all of the pictures in my build thread are from the other side of the bike. Looking at this makes me want to throw up haha. I have no clue where to even begin with this mess. I'm going to put it off until I'm done everything else I need to do and then grab a case of coors and try to figure it out. Figured you guys might need a laugh.
Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 4.00.29 PM.jpg

CaseySmithersxs and teionjames. Yup, that is the easiest thing to do. I was in the same boat and thought I'd just hang on to the mess and work around it....Not!:D

I would think teionjames is running the same stuff as me... Headlight/Tail light but im running blinkers too... Is there a diagram out there that shows how to start from scratch with those essentials? And a car style key start with NO push button...What can we get rid of and WHERE IS THE BLINKER CONTROLS(not switch on the handlebar)

There are plenty of wiring diagrams on the threads.

Choose one that matches your set-up - but if that was me, I would be starting from scratch instead of patching up that mess. Do your own and you will be familiar with every wire and its function.

Anlaf

Haha...Yeah my plan was to attempt to salvage what I could but the more I've been looking at it, I will definitely be ripping everything out and starting from scratch. I'm running headlight and taillight only, no signals. Eventually going to to do a Pamco and PMA set up. I DESPISE electrical work of any kind, the most extensive wiring I've ever done is car CD players and a new pick up in one of my guitars. I'll let you know when I make myself a noose with the excess wiring lol.

Haha I was in a similar boat. All sorts of wires hanging off. It's a great feeling to rip them all out of there and start over. I'm a wiring noob also but it's not that bad, just take your time and pick a good diagram and follow it.

Would it be a good idea for an electrical novice to start from scratch? Lol

I would say so. Each function can then be regarded as a single circuit. You then have a series of simple problems to overcome not a complex system which must be understood in its entirety before you begin.

If it were me I would start with the charging circuit, then you have a battery in place and some power. Tackling the ignition would come next for me as hearing the engine run would be a big incentive to progress the rest. There are lots simple (chopped bike) circuit diagrams on here. Why not start with one and build onto it for electric start and indicators?

Dave

Lol did the same thing with mine here's a diagram I'm going with I'm keeping the electric start on it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 157
Back