What is this part on my Pamco?

pinned

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello,

After multiple attempts to go about getting this fixed through the "proper" channel, I have decided to move forward on my own. I believe the component circled in my picture is the source of problems for me. My question is - what is it called, and how might I identify the part so that I can find a new one? I am not completely clueless on electronics and have replaced many bad capacitors, etc... but have no formal education in the matter. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• PAMCO.jpg
    PAMCO.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 209
what is it called,

It looks to me like a burnt resistor. It should have color bands that decode to a value that you can look up. Or somebody with an unfried one can tell you what the colors are.

Pinned,

If you bought the PAMCO within the last two years then it will be replaced under warranty. The usual cause of that burnt resistor is a high voltage due to a faulty regulator or improperly installed PMA, which XSLeo was explaining to you earlier.

PM your address for warranty service, but when you get the new PAMCO, please do as XSLeo suggested to be sure that your charging system is not producing a high voltage.

I wanted to update this thread to say thank you to Pamco Pete who, after reading the thread promptly shipped out a new plate to replace the one I had. I still do not know what caused the first issue and it's entirely possible that the frying of my Pamco was caused by my failure to test my PMA output before installing the Pamco - which makes Pete's response all the more remarkable. I will be testing my PMAs output tomorrow before I tie the Pamco back into the rest of my electrical system. So, thanks again Pete, I've dealt with very few companies who care so much about the customer.

On a related note - can anyone confirm that I should be testing the output of the PMA at my capacitor? Also, at what point is my output considered "too high"?

I read elsewhere that I should test @ both idle and 3k RPM - can anyone confirm that this is correct?

I wanted to update this thread to say thank you to Pamco Pete who, after reading the thread promptly shipped out a new plate to replace the one I had. I still do not know what caused the first issue and it's entirely possible that the frying of my Pamco was caused by my failure to test my PMA output before installing the Pamco - which makes Pete's response all the more remarkable. I will be testing my PMAs output tomorrow before I tie the Pamco back into the rest of my electrical system. So, thanks again Pete, I've dealt with very few companies who care so much about the customer.

On a related note - can anyone confirm that I should be testing the output of the PMA at my capacitor? Also, at what point is my output considered "too high"?

I read elsewhere that I should test @ both idle and 3k RPM - can anyone confirm that this is correct?

anybody got an answer for this? or a link to xsleo's pma instructions???

In the XS650 Tech section there is a huge amount of info on charging systems.

Great reading.

Whether original or PMA the output is the same, idle 12-12.5 volts, 2,500+rpm 13.5-14.5 volts at the battery.

Different loads on the system makes the difference along with how good a wiring system you have.

As Brian said all charging systems work the same. At idle the voltage at the battery or cap will be around 12.5 or so. At around 2000 to 2500 rpms the voltage should rise up to around 14.5. At any higher rpms it should Never go over the 14.5 volts.
Your voltages may be different because of the tolerances of the reg/rec on the bike and your meter. A + or - of around 10% is acceptable.
Leo

Back