What is this wires do?!

Nickyd

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have an 81 xs650 SII. i am trying to identify theses 2 wires coming from my clutch control leaver? its 2 wires that run into the headlight and are connected with a green connector??
Help!!

Attachments

• photo (9).jpg
    photo (9).jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 102
  • photo (10).jpg
    photo (10).jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 58
i have an 81 xs650 SII. i am trying to identify theses 2 wires coming from my clutch control leaver? its 2 wires that run into the headlight and are connected with a green connector??
Help!!
That's to the safety switch so your starter won't engage with the bike in gear.
if the bike is in gear you have to pull the clutch lever before it will start

Ok thanks! So my next question is.. Can I eliminate it? Or are there serious safety problems if I took it off. I ask because I'm trying to clean up the bike so it looks like a cafe racer. So I'm trying to get rid of as much as I can. Thoughts?

sure, it's just a safety nazi thing anyway, most people can figure out it's not a good idea to start your bike in gear all by themselves,

Ok but are there any unseen risks to getting rid of the safety switch? All it does is to not let the bike start in a gear? im not sure what would happen if i try and start the bike in gear other then it lurching foreword? and im only going to be running a kick start as of now.

If you are only kicking then the worst that can happen is you'll fall over as it starts, or it runs out from under you as it belches to life while you are all off balance from starting.

Ok but are there any unseen risks to getting rid of the safety switch? All it does is to not let the bike start in a gear? im not sure what would happen if i try and start the bike in gear other then it lurching foreword? and im only going to be running a kick start as of now.

of course there is a 1 in a whatever chance the bike could actually start ((easier on the center stand) no weight on the wheel) hard to do on the kickstand because you have to turn the rear wheel thru the tranny and the motor for it to start, then the bike falls over or not, or it could take off and run into the side of your neighbors new Cadillac,
damn better leave it hooked up if you're accident prone :laugh:

The clutch switch, and the neutral switch, are both part of the interlock for the electric starter motor. If you are only using the kick start, then go ahead and remove the clutch switch.

Assuming your bike still has the Starter Lockout Relay (Cutoff Relay), and you later begin using the electric starter motor, your bike will only start if in neutral. If you stall the bike in an intersection and want to do a quick re-start, while in first gear, it won't work. You would have to re-install the clutch switch, so that the safety interlock will allow a start in first gear (or any gear), once you pull the clutch lever.

My 78SE has no safety interlocks for neutral or clutch and I like it that way.

Back