What is with the "Buckhorn Bars"

birdog4549

81 XS-H Special II
Reaction score
I recently got a nice '81 Special II with "buckhorn" bars. I don't like them. what has been the consensus here? It's not like I want to do what everybody else has done but these bars are not working for me. My arms want the grips farther away so that they are straighter. I would think a little more aggressive position would be more comfortable. The rise is okay and the width is okay but that grip angle that is parallel to the bike body and is so close to my body!!!!! Anyway, is there a great place to get a nice selection of replacement bars.

I haven't done much riding with that style of bars, but they have never felt that comfortable for me. It almost felt like my arm movement was restricted or something (if that makes sense). I prefer the drag style bars. There's probably a bunch of places to shop, but I have no idea where the 'best' places are as far as price goes.

I recommend a street-tracker or superbike style bar as wide as you can get. Not only will they stretch your arms but they'll straighten your back so you quit slouching in the seat. The change in posture will make your bike seem to handle better. You back, arms, neck and shoulders will thank you for it. And the bars won't wobble as much in the rubber mounts. That was the first thing I changed on my XS.

Rogue21 mentioned drag bars. If your arms are long enough you might like drag bars but most of us are stretched too far with drag bars.

Yup, I tossed the buckhorn bars, when I first bought the bike. They were ugly and uncomfortable. However, some people like them:shrug:. A friend of mine has a 1980 Special and he prefers the buckhorns.

Haha, it seems I worded my opinion a little too nicely, but I didnt want to offend any of those die-hard buckhorn fans! And I should have mentioned I rode with drag bars on a different bike that was not an XS, so the whole riding position was different.

x2 - tracker bars is what I'm running & they are great...

I recommend a street-tracker or superbike style bar as wide as you can get. Not only will they stretch your arms but they'll straighten your back so you quit slouching in the seat. The change in posture will make your bike seem to handle better. You back, arms, neck and shoulders will thank you for it. And the bars won't wobble as much in the rubber mounts. That was the first thing I changed on my XS.

Rogue21 mentioned drag bars. If your arms are long enough you might like drag bars but most of us are stretched too far with drag bars.

I love my bucks. Every one of my bikes has them. I started riding in 1980, that was the norm then.
Yes, I am serious.
Following are some of my bikes, none of them would look or feel right without the buckhorns:

http://www.handspiral.com/images/aXS650/2010/AngryHornet/Left700a.jpg

The look of the buckhorn bars is nice. I just can't seem to get comfortable with mine. I especially like what you have done with the "Angry Hornet" i left above. it is minimal and is one of the ways I am thinking of going but maybe with a different style tank. I am looking at the old school Cobra seats as well but it would be very similar to what you have done. Thanks

Well, I do see a consensus that goes with my thinking. thanks for the replies. I will have to find bars I like lest i go from the "frying pan into the fire!"

That is a Flyscreen from National Cycles. It keeps the wind off of your chest, but you still get it in the face. Of course, that's with buckhorns, and an upright position.

To each his own, I would never tell any one what to do, but honestly, handlebars are all about fashion and what's popular at the time, not with what's comfortable. With any handlebar, it takes a few days to develop the proper arm, shoulder and torso muscles before you get used to them.

To each his own, I would never tell any one what to do, but honestly, handlebars are all about fashion and what's popular at the time, not with what's comfortable. With any handlebar, it takes a few days to develop the proper arm, shoulder and torso muscles before you get used to them.[/QUOTE]

Dogbunny - Love your bikes, but I gotta disagree. As much as I like the looks of certain bars and seats, if I'm not comfortable, it aint happening. I'm of the the mind that the machine fits the rider/driver. Of course, I'm old and cranky so at this stage, I don't tend to adapt to things or people. It does make me wonder how many riders live with the popular stuff tho it might be uncomfortable, and how many switch out.

It feels like im running the old horse drawn plow in my dads garden when I ride a bike equipped with those . I dont mind the look but the association weirds me out

My buckhorns gave me bad rotator cuff problems that gradually went away after I got rid of them. I couldn't raise my arms over my head. Couldn't even reach up to change a light bulb.

Now I have early 80s cb750 bars which are similar but make the palms face down rather than to the inside. Also much more strength on the brake lever with palm down.

I did not like the look or the feel of my buckhorns when I first got the bike. I will probably still change them but, I have gotten used to them and find they are very comfortable for my short arms.

everybody hates the buckhorns. Somewhere there is a place where all the discarded buckhorns are just piled up into a large twisted mess. On my '79 I also did not like them (stock "rototillers"). So I put Daytona bars on.

However, on my chopper, I LOVE the buckhorns! In fact eventually I want to get some that are even curlier. Taller and swoop back more - more like an old Sportster buckhorn. The Sportster people all seem to hate buckhorns too!

To me it depends on the kind of riding and the stance of the bike. If it is a low-tailed relaxed position bike, then bucks rock. If it is a level, or high-assed bike and you want to do more technical riding then something like the Daytonas are better.

Actually, to me, a buckhorn is a little different from the XS650 Special "rototillers". It's a different bend. Buckhorns are curlier.

love your bikes, DogBunny.

I love my bucks. Every one of my bikes has them. I started riding in 1980, that was the norm then.
Yes, I am serious.
Following are some of my bikes, none of them would look or feel right without the buckhorns:

http://www.handspiral.com/images/aXS650/2010/AngryHornet/Left700a.jpg

http://www.handspiral.com/images/aXS650/2011/July/Left.jpg

http://www.handspiral.com/images/Diamond_Die/xlforum/2009/spoke1.jpg

http://www.handspiral.com/images/Diamond_Die/xlforum/2009/BlackNag.jpg

Back