What kind of ignition oils this?

smg65

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
IS this! Darn predictive text.

Well... this changes things. Perhaps my bike isn't as stock as I thought. Was going to check cam chain tension and when I pulled the rotor cover off, I saw this. No timing marks and nothing that looks familiar to me. What kind of ignition mod do I have here? Any tips on doing normal maintenance considering?

Thanks!

Attachments

• ignition.jpg
    ignition.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I don't think it's an ignition mod, it's a charging system mod, as in PMA. When installing one of those, you're supposed to transfer your timing marks (make new ones). It's stupid, idiotic, moronic, retarded, etc. not to do so but you see it time and time again. You need those marks for setting timing and valves. I don't understand why people think they don't need them?

I certainly thought I'd be needing the marks. Any way of getting them at this point on the game???

But wait! That's not all! Check my next thread! All kinds of surprises today!! The bike runs good so I thought it was well maintained!

Thanks 5twins

Well, TDC (for valve setting) isn't too difficult to locate. Turn the motor over by hand and watch through the spark plug hole for the piston to come up. Stick a straw in the spark plug hole and and bump the motor forward and back a little until you find the spot where the piston is at its highest point.

Marks for the ignition timing are a little more difficult. Idle timing is something like 13°-17°BTDC and full advance is like 40°BTDC. The usual routine is to use a degree wheel to find them.

Well... TDC will be a start. At least I'll be able to check and adjust valves. As it's running very good, at least this is not an emergency.
Thanks again, 5twins!

There are several methods of putting marks on the rotor and cover for timing. Hugh has good instructions on doing this on his blog.
Leo

Thanks, XSLeo. I'll definitely check out Hughes. Ya know... I was wondering why the PO installed the cheap voltmeter on the handlebars. Guess he was having charging issues. I hope I don't run into any other surprises. Although perhaps the PMA is a good thing in the long run!

Back