What level of mechanical know how and tools do I need to replace my cam chain guide

Bad is down near 100. Sometimes they won't barely run with it that low. Normal for a healthy engine is about 150. I believe in replacing the cam chain if it's original along with all the other stuff mentioned. You can get by for about $200 if you do the work yourself. Here's a little price breakdown .....

Rings - about $60

Engine Gasket Kit - about $50 (this will include all needed o-rings and valve guide seals)

Cam Chain - about $50

Front Cam Chain Guide - about $30 to $50 (depending where you get it)

You can lap the valves in yourself for about $10 (grinding paste and lap stick)

If you plan on doing this several months from now, start watching eBay for some of the stuff. I got my rings for about half of the normal price. I've seen gasket sets go cheap too. I just scored 2 cam chains for $20 each.

@5Twins: I'll do that. I'm already trolling ebay. I'll have to look into lapping the Valves. I haven't read up on what that is yet.

+1 on powersportsplus.com for the cam chain guide. Mikes and 650central are out of stock, and they are a good $10-20 more at other places with shipping.

EDIT: maybe not. looks like powersports has them on backorder too.

Last edited:
+1 on powersportsplus.com for the cam chain guide. Mikes and 650central are out of stock, and they are a good $10-20 more at other places with shipping.

EDIT: maybe not. looks like powersports has them on backorder too.

I was wondering if anyone here has ordered cam chain guides from powersportsplus.com and could tell us if they're any good.

I was wondering if anyone here has ordered cam chain guides from powersportsplus.com and could tell us if they're any good.

well it doesn't matter much because they just told me they are backordered from Yamaha with "no estimated ship date", so it looks like they can't get them either.

I am Carbon, watching your videos right now. Going to tear down my engine in a couple weeks. I cannot thank you enough for your time and effort to make such a great series of videos. Well done sir.

Back