What on Earth did I do???

Kelso1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Somehow my chain decided to rub through part of my case and exposed this hole with what appears to be an aluminum plug. (I found it resting below my sprocket in the left cover). Then I go to put it in the hole to make sure that is where it went then I couldn't get it out. So for some reason I decide to go ahead and push it all the way in. Now there are two holes which are half covered by the end of the plug. Are these holes some kind of oil passage? It seems as if they would have been covered up before it fell out.
I run a 530 chain and according to my manual every part is accounted for so I'm unsure why it was rubbing.

Any of you ever seen this before? I'm unsure of how to fix it.

1081e070.jpg

444cf30a.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have to go look but isn't that where the sprocket cover/shift shaft support/ wire guide used to bolt on?

I know what you are talking about and that is below the sprocket. When everything is assembled the chain is right in line with the hole. I looked closer at my service manual and it appears to be an oil passage to the transmission bearings. I know for sure oil runs through there cause the other night when it fell out oil covered my rear tire and well you can guess what happened after that.

I have a feeling the engine is coming apart AGAIN!! I remember seeing one of the other oil passages when I had it apart and the plug covers half of the hole for correct oil flow I assume.

I guess I will have to drill out the piece that is in there and fab up another one. Then have someone that can weld aluminum to make sure it stays in there.

Some of the O-ring and X-ring chains are wider than a standard chain. That might be why the chain rubbed on the case or the spacer between the front sprocket and tranny bearing race is to short.
I just went out and looked at the cases I have. Oil from the pump enters the upper case, across an oil gallery that sprays oil on the rod big ends and up to the head and into the center crank bearing.
At the alternator side passages send oil up over the crank bearing into the bearing and on back to the hole you see on one side if the opening the plug covers. The other hole sends oil to the bearing on the output shaft by the sprocket and the bearing behind the clutch pushrod seal.
Oil also goes to the hollow shaft the shift forks slide on as the shift drum moves them. This hollow shaft feeds oil to the shift forks. The oil flows out the end of the hollow shaft to send oil to the two bearings on the ends of the transmission shafts. If you rebuild the area that is damaged I would do my best to not restrict those oil holes.
I don't have a spacer to measure but on the 82 engine the front sprocket is off. The splines the sprocket engages is just a bit over 3/8 in out of the spacer.
This may not help much but this is what I see on what I have.
Leo

That plug is covered with epoxy or sealer of some sort from the factory. I would try to JB Weld it back in place. And switch chains, lol. I think we need a new thread stickied at the top of this catagory - "Top Ten FUBARs".

If you glue it back, put the glue on the plug, not in the hole, so there won't be any excess in the hole.

I appreciate the help guys. One of these weekends when I get the chance I am going to tear the engine back down and repair this.

I have ran this chain for well over 300 miles and have yet to have a problem but I will be getting a new one for peace of mind.

Any idea why they would epoxy this in there?

I can tell you that when the plug comes out while the engine is running oil will flow out at a pretty good rate. So do y'all see any problems with making it permanent and TIG welding it in there?

Back