What outlet size is this?

Thet

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have this in my garage and need to know if it'll run my 220v compressor (compressor needs rewired, or I'd check it out).

2011-02-16_14-31-11_162.jpg

Thanks!

i have one of those too. what would plug into that? my previous home owner was a house contractor, so he had 240 for welding, and this 120v plug, but I cant seem to get power out of it to see what voltage it has. all breakers are on. any ideas?

It has the same voltage as any other standard home electrical outlet. It is rated for 20 amps instead of the standard 15 amps. You couldn't run your dishwasher or refrigerator but you could certainly use it for equipment that has a lot of power draw (Thus the extra 5 amps).

@ angus...first question would be if there are actually wires connected to it....if so it could be wired incorrectly or the outlet could have one of the internal connections damaged....or its just installed in a box with no wires connected to it.

@ coastside...why couldn't you run a refrigerator off of it?

Most big fridges I see in peoples homes are 240V. Dorm size ones would be 120V but most of what I have seen require more juice. It really depends on the fridge, they are all different.

yup it SHOULD be 110/128 volt 20 amp and plugging a standard 15amp cord in it is fine too. BUT it's always good to check voltage, sometimes you will find a junior electrician doing odd stuff. 20 amp outlets are fairly common in heavy use areas. Code calls for them on kitchen counter walls now. Washing machine plugs, microwave and refrigerator plugs should all be 20 amp units. The inside of that receptacle is built much heavier than the 49 cent 15 amp recepts. Well that's how I remember it anyways.

Most big fridges I see in peoples homes are 240V. Dorm size ones would be 120V but most of what I have seen require more juice. It really depends on the fridge, they are all different.

Dude your crazy, I've been a electrician for 21 years and never seen a 240V fridge in a house. Commercial yes residential no.

To the op if that's in your garage its protected by a gfci outlet, check to see if any are tripped.

Dude your crazy, I've been a electrician for 21 years and never seen a 240V fridge in a house. Commercial yes residential no.

To the op if that's in your garage its protected by a gfci outlet, check to see if any are tripped.

As a (former ) Refrigeration Technician I have NEVER seen a 240 volt refrigerator.
It is common in commercial/restraunt equipment.

Last edited:

Me too, Commercial electrician for 10.

I do garages all the time with 20A outlets. Far more convenient when your running a few things at once...My plug outside for plugging in the car in winter is a 20aso i can plug 2 cars in off of it.

I just bought the biggest side by side fridge Sears sells, took it home and plugged it into the same plug where my tiny fridge was until yesterday. Ice is frozen, ice maker works, ice and water in door works, everything is cold-- all on 110 VAC +/-.

I guess I wasnt thinking I was just naming large appliances used in homes without too much thought.

I didnt mean for this to turn into a refrigerator voltage debate amongst the electricians on the site.

Your right everyone, residential fridges are 110. Lets all move on.

Back