what pod filters to use?

1976xs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm ordering new switches soon from mikes XS and in the same order I was going to get air filters too.
It has pods on it at the moment.
Does the shape effect it at all? I'll need to put it in to get it serviced after i'm finished a few mods and eliminate the sputter from carbs so will changing from what it has on it now effect how it runs?

Thanks!

Mike's has two K&N type filters, one is a a shorter oval tapered filiter. This style filter doesn't work as well on CV carbs, like the XS650 uses. The longer straight round one will work better.
I like Uni-Filters.
Your Sputter from the carb may improve with different filters or you might need a bit more carb tuning.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf will help on the tuning.
Leo

Keith I couldn't find the type you said worked well on that page? there is up4229st that I think match the closet? thanks again

I had XS pods on the bike from the PO but changed to Uni foam filters.
They have a larger filter area and are about the same price.
I used the SP5229ST and removed the second layer of (red) foam.
Check the size needed for your bike though.
Cheers mate!
http://www.unifilter.com/online%20catalog/universal.html

Keith I couldn't find the type you said worked well on that page? there is up4229st that I think match the closet? thanks again

I don't get why people don't proof read and edit their posts. The number he posted is incorrect. As you found out, there is no such item. The filter you want depends on the carb set you have. The 38s and 34s have different diameter bell mouths so different sized mounting flanges are required. If you have BS38s, choose a filter with a 2" I.D. (UP4200, UP4200ST). If you have the BS34s, use one with a 2 1/4" I.D. (UP4229, UP4229ST).

I'm running the XSPerf. pods on my '80 with the BS34's. I put them in the freezer and sandpapered out the stupid moulding flash and rounded the inner lip a bit. So far there's no problems.

hi guys ,,,i,m running the mikesxs oval filters on my 38 carbys which are jetted out with his kits and i think i went up another couple of sizes ,,, ,,,anyway it runs absolutely SWEET ,,,, i,ve had these filters on for about 6 years ,,,and i have lightly cleaned them a couple of times,.... regards oldbiker

after i upgraded the timing to electronic and put the pma in it coughs a little bit every now and then. Not sure if these new pods im getting from UNI will help but at least i can eliminate the problem. I think i might need to adjust the fuel mixture. Apart from this and a bit of wiring its getting close to being "finished"

My apologies, mate,for giving the wrong part #. Corrected to UP4229ST.
It's the same as the UP4229 filter but with a removable outer layer of red foam.
2 1/4 " clamp and 4" long. I removed the red outer layer to allow proper fitment.
It just worked out that my supplier could get the dual layer without a "special order" to the supplier and only $2 difference.

Back