What Seats Fit my '81 Special

Lotsafun

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I just bought a very clean 1981 Special from an old guy who had it in his garage for 12 years. It started right up and looks like it will clean up great.! So far, just a new battery, plugs, oil, etc. The vacuum petcock is junk, so I'm replacing it with the non-vacuum style. The seat needs to be replaced or recovered. If anyone has a good seat that will fit, please let me know and we'll work something out. Has anyone tried one of those Saddleman seat covers I see on EBay? I've seen them for about $60, but I wonder how well they actually fit.

Thanks
Joe

I have a seat off an 82 special. Let me know if your interested.

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 67
  • seat2.jpg
    seat2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 98
Weekender, I will have to look again. I got the seat from my dad when he gave me the bike. If my memory is correct it is vinyl but kind of has a look like leather. I am not that familiar with all the special seats but I think it must have had the cover replaced. All the specials I have seen have stitching across the seat.

Yes the lack of embossment is what caught my eye. That and the sheen.
Nice looking seat.
I have one of the leather aftermarket seats and it is a tad lower in the "cup" and a wee bit narrower. The little difference between the little bride having to tippy toe to clear it than with the oem.

I have a 1981 SH special seat that is still in extremely good shape..mine is 'ribbed'...i can send you pics if you are interested and we can talk $'s...just options.

the 80 seat was a stand alone seat and the best of the clip on special seats. the later models had the more pronounced step and is not comfortable, always have your tailbone up on the rise. And i am not a tall person, 5' 10 1/2"

With the gentle slope of the 80 seat you can slide back when you want to.

http://www.xs650.org.au/Buyers%20Guide.htm

Scroll down to the Specials and you will see what i mean

Skull, I find the 81 SH seat (shown in your picture) VERY comfortable. I've taken 4 hr rides and I like it...however...I'm using clubman bars which give me a more 'lean forward' ride...the 'step' gets used more as a backboard for my ass and I don't slide all over. Just sayin....I'm sure the comfort changes on your ride style right?

The indentations are just from the swingarm setting on top of it, it had a nice blanket wrapped around it.

The document case is still on the bottom. Good luck.

Attachments

• seat_top.jpg
    seat_top.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 100
  • seat_btm.jpg
    seat_btm.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 93
Just going on my experience from owning an 83SK Heritage, and an 80SG

Im not trying to sell a seat:smoke::)

I was just looking at the parts fiches at boats.net.
The 78 E models used a #1T3-W2472-00-00 seat it was a side hinge.
78 SE before vin 006501 used 4G7-W2472-00-00 seat, lift off.
78 SE after #006501 and the 79 SF used #2M0-24730-91-00 a side hinge.
79 2F Special II and 80 G used # 3N0-W2472-00-00 A side hinge.
The 80 SG listed two numbers, a 2M0-24730-91-00 A side hinge used on the Special II, and a #4G7-W2472-00-00 lift off used on the Special.
All the later years used the 4M4-W2472-00-00 lift off seat.
The 78 side hinge seat was the same as the earlier years, flat. The later side hinges using different #'s had different shapes.
The early lift off seats had a flatter profile than the later seats.
Will all the lift off seats interchange? Will all the sidehinge seats interchange? I can't confirm or deny that.
Hope this helps.
Leo

Back