What speedo do I have

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
This came on my 1981 650 but the mph are in km/h ?
Is this from an import sales ? Canada ?

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 35
It just seems odd I don't recall seeing one like that
I know where your coming from' the promoted 55mph campaign save gas etc.
Here's one of the 75
Evidently 650's back them would top out at 85 mph instead of the 75 going to 140mph :umm:

Attachments

• tach .jpg
    tach .jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 26
It just seems odd I don't recall seeing one like that
I know where your coming from' the promoted 55mph campaign save gas etc.
Here's one of the 75
Evidently 650's back them would top out at 85 mph instead of the 75 going to 140mph :umm:
That’s exactly why the 75s are the best. 140mph is cruising speed

An official Nixon Ford era 55 speedometer.....;)
I just Googled about this
Nixon signed the 55mph bill in 74
But why is this speedo showing the 55 mph let's save gas theme in 1981
I had a 1980 but it didn't look like this one
Either as far as I can remember (which ain't far)

ut why is this speedo showing the 55 mph let's save gas theme in 1981
Effective September 1, 1979, in a FMVSS that also regulated speedometer and odometer accuracy, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) required speedometers to have special emphasis on the number 55 and a maximum speed of 85 mph (140 km/h).[63] Some manufacturers circumvented the rule by including extra lines beyond 85 to show higher speeds.[64] However, on March 25, 1982, NHTSA revoked that Standard (FMVSS 127) entirely, eliminating speedometer and odometer rules because they were "unlikely to yield significant safety benefits" and "[a] highlighted '55' on a speedometer scale adds little to the information provided to the driver by a roadside speed limit sign."[65][66][67] - Wikipedia

Effective September 1, 1979, in a FMVSS that also regulated speedometer and odometer accuracy, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) required speedometers to have special emphasis on the number 55 and a maximum speed of 85 mph (140 km/h).[63] Some manufacturers circumvented the rule by including extra lines beyond 85 to show higher speeds.[64] However, on March 25, 1982, NHTSA revoked that Standard (FMVSS 127) entirely, eliminating speedometer and odometer rules because they were "unlikely to yield significant safety benefits" and "[a] highlighted '55' on a speedometer scale adds little to the information provided to the driver by a roadside speed limit sign."[65][66][67] - Wikipedia
It's an odd idea
I'm glad they straightened it out lol

Back