What tank do I have?

Quinn_McLeod

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So a guy saw that I have an XS650 sporting an Enduro tank off a Yamaha 175 (see photos below). While it's a cool look, it's a pretty small tank, and I don't get far. He says he's got an old tank in his garage, I can have it, but it doesn't have a petcock or a cap/keys. Fine.

The tank original to my bike had two petcocks, one left and one right. Then one I received from this guy only has a left side petcock. No holes for a second one on the right. What year/model is this tank off of? I need to know so I can order the correct petcock and keys. Apparently, these are NOT interchangeable.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Quinn

Here's my ride...

2015-05-08 15.03.27.jpg 2015-05-15 14.44.37.jpg 2015-05-15 14.44.55.jpg

So where are the pics of the new tank you got? It could be anything, from any number of different bikes.

That is really odd, not to have a petcock on the left. Does that area look 'blanked off' maybe by a PO? It does look like a Yamaha tank though. Does it fit good?

That petcock is on the left as Quinn had originally stated. Remember that you are looking at the tank upside down. Its appears on the right now but when you flip it over it will be on the left. That tank looks like a later model Special by the placement of the fuel cap. I am not up to speed on the year they switched over to single petcock though.

The single petcock came along in 1980 with the BS34 carbs. They use one fuel line to a "T" fitting to feed both carbs.

It's definitely an XS650 tank. And it fits perfectly. I'm just not familiar with this particular model. So I don't know what petcock or tank cap to purchase.

This is a Special tank. ...............80-83.
The early Special Tanks, 78/79 had 2 petcocks.
The 80 - 83 Special tanks have one petcock
The original petcocks were Vacuum operated, meaning they never had to be turned off.
MikesXS sells a replacement, non Vacuum petcock for the later 80-83 tanks...........make sure to buy the left side petcock. He sells both left and right.
Any Special, 78-83, gas cap will fit this tank.
Personally i would be looking for a good second hand one because the aftermarket gas caps are not as well made, the mounting lug and where the pin goes on the cap are poorly made. They work.
Mikes is not the only petcock supplier but you will need to make sure the mounting bolt distance is right for your tank.

Caution; The 76-79 Standard Gas caps look the same as the Special caps but DO NOT interchange

Back