What the hell just happend? clutch out and puking oil

Stone

Just Livin
Reaction score
What the fuck just happened?:wtf: I got on the bike started right up no biggie. Pulled the clutch in and put it in first. started going down the road (2 blocks) and boom I got no clutch and its puking oil out of the clutch cover? the clutch is dead pull it in and i got nothing, no resistance nothing? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::mad::mad::mad::confused::wtf::wtf:

Ok engine gurus...go!

Well that's not good.. It's going to be hard to guess what happened.. Probably something bad if it's leaking oil now too. Time to drain the oil and pull the right side cover.

Where exactly is the oil coming from?

right below the clutch cover it looks like? it was leaking a little bit from there before but I just kept an eye on the oil level :shrug:

I would check the simple things 1st. Pull the left cover and inspect the cable connection and worm gear. Maybe the cable connection or the cable itself just broke.

im gonna say no. Just as long as i dont need to find a new case or some shit i dont really care haha. by ventilated you mean....umm yea feel free to expand on that one haha

Pics would help. You're gonna need to take some covers off and look and post pics. Clutch not working is not an easily diagnosed thing on forums. Could be lever, cable, actuating mechanism, failed push rod, broken basket, broken clutch disc, clutch nut came off, ect. Pictures are gold when diagnosing over the internet.

If I had to guess, clutch retaining nut came loose and the clutch basket cut a hole in your case.

That's worst case senario of course. Hopefully it's something simple like a clutch push rod seal and push rod.
Oh, just though of something, how loose is your chain if it's too loose it could take out the push rod and seal very easily. Take off the left side cover and take a peek.

Last edited:
ok I ran out real quick and this is what i got. Sorry they are cell phone pics with only 2 mins to take them haha

They dont show much but i thought the huge line all the way from the road was hilarious
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
it was leaking right above the motor mount bolt
[/IMG]
and here is how she sits :(
[/IMG]

Attachments

• IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0625_2.jpg
    IMG_0625_2.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0628_2.jpg
    IMG_0628_2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0629_2.jpg
    IMG_0629_2.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 1
You said it was leaking oil out of the clutch cover.. that's what had everyone confused. From the pictures it looks like it's leaking out of the left side engine cover, not the right (clutch side). That looks like a pushrod seal blown out and if the clutch stopped working at the same time, the pushrod is probably broke or missing (which is what ruined the seal). Was the chain hitting it?

At least your actual clutch itself is probably fine. Now you just gotta pull that left side cover off and see if the damage includes the engine case or if it is just the seal and pushrod (and maybe worm gear thing).

Correct me if I am wrong but it looks as though the leak is coming from the alternator/chain cover, left side?

If so probably not a major failure but a broken cable, seal and/or pushrod as above?

Nice oil down by the way!

Hope it lives!

Ahh...as above.....too slow again!

Last edited:
Well, that point's debatable, lol. If it does, it may kill him, lol. No rear fender, no seat, no front brake ..... what keeps that rear tire from burning a hole in the seat of your pants?

While you were distracted by the oil, somebody made off with half of your bike!

Yikes, not sure about that rear brake setup either.. You are one crazy guy. I hope you don't go over 20 mph :laugh:

HAHAHAHA ok yes you are correct I miss spoke lol. as far as the bike she runs and stops just the way she is haha. I want to name it bare bones! Its far from being done.

to keep from burning a hole in my ass? well just gotta let those family jewels hug the back bone:D

rear brake does work, PO's set up but it works however will get changed this winter. the front brake is going on just waitin on a line to get rid of that junction box thing?

thanks! the oil line was the best part i started laughin as soon as it happened:laugh:

Yikes, not sure about that rear brake setup either.. You are one crazy guy. I hope you don't go over 20 mph :laugh:

I couldnt tell ya how fast Ive been going no speedo :shrug: hahaha

whatever these bikes do with 17/32 sprockets in 5th gear pinned is

Like I said, you're crazy! :D I've ridden some dangerous bikes, but you got me beat in that regard!

I recently had the same thing happen. I was running my chain too loose and it came up and slapped the pushrod. The pushrod broke into three pieces (one of them the exact width of the chain) and I started to puke oil out of the pushrod recess. A lot of oil came out really fast. Obviously with no pushrod, there was no getting the clutch to disengage. It also trashed my throwout bearing assembly. The wormgear and pushrod oil seal were wrecked. Take a close look at it if this is what happened.

I don't think a blown pushrod seal alone would cause this much oil.

Back