What throttle assembly and cables?

shawn00sa

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What is a good quality throttle assembly and cable system to use. Trying to stay away from a cheap "eBay" model.

72 with stock carbs. Would like it in black and prefer smaller profile.

The main issue with replacing the stock throttle and cables on the early models is they use two pull cables. Most aftermarket throttles are a single pull cable. You can use any of these single pull throttles with a custom cable with a splitter so it can run two carbs. It just needs plenty of adjustments between the splitter and carbs. You need this to sync the carbs.
I think the stock units work fine, but I like stock stuff.
Leo

Thanks Leo. I ordered a kit for the cables from venhill. Still looking for the throttle I want.

I've got to do some shorter cables sometime in the near future. Im interested in what you think of the venhill cables. Id have to use the custom make your own length kit....Is that what you got?

Opinions...? Quality....?

That is exactly what I got. Overall not bad. I wish there was adjustability from carb to carb. Quality was ok, not bad not great just acceptable.

Thanks. Thats what I needed to know. For the price I think I'll buy a set..throttle,clutch…..and make some.. A little later I'll use those exact measurements to order some custom motion pro cables and keep these for extra.

That is exactly what I got. Overall not bad. I wish there was adjustability from carb to carb. Quality was ok, not bad not great just acceptable.

Hey Shawn00sa

Which kit exactly did you get...Im having a hard time finding one with the proper elbows at the throttle and at the clutch side cover.

Thanks

Hi,

I went with the universal Motion Pro throttle tube too. Everything is good except there is no provision for holding the stock throttle cable to the cast housing. My first experience found that the cable was over extending and then not returning so pegged throttle ... not good! I then put a cable tie to my clutch cable and then controlled things pretty well but I wasn't happy with it. First I didn't want anything restraining the clutch cable and making it harder to operate. I also wasn't sure that my cable tie wouldn't slip.

What i ended up doing was drilling a hole in the casting. there are actually two flat spots when you look at the inside, in the correct position. I drilled a 5mm hole, used a shortened original 5mm screw from the throttle, thread locked a nut to the outside and bent the restraining tab a little. The pics show it all. The first one was the cable tie I mention which I've now removed.

Attachments

• DSCN3764.JPG
    DSCN3764.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 418
  • DSCN3763.JPG
    DSCN3763.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 383
  • DSCN3761.JPG
    DSCN3761.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 402
  • DSCN3765.JPG
    DSCN3765.JPG