What to do while engine is out of the frame?

Firerunner

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm about to swap my old, at least partially destroyed engine out for a donor with a fresh top end.

I pulled the donor today and am soaking it with simple green overnight. I will likely do the starter delete tomorrow. Is there anything else that any of you can think of that would be simpler while the engine is out? I'm not in that much of a hurry. Pete is sending me a new advance rod locator piece, as mine was destroyed, so I have to wait for that before she runs again. I imagine next week would be an early estimate.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

How 'bout freshen-up frame mounts to improve ground, check for frame cracks, including around sidestand.
Check ends and mount posts of springs for wear/grooving, on the sidestand, centerstand, rear brake, rear brake switch.
Clean and lube the rear brake shaft. Inspect/replace the footpeg mount rubber bushings.

Last edited:
recondition the starter motor and renew the 2x oil seals?
Renew the neutral detent spring and ball ?
Refurbish the main and sidestands

All good ideas. Some don't apply to this particular bike (kick only, hardtailed, etc), but I'm glad they are included, as I think this might be a good reference for the future as well. Any other ideas?

sorry you didn't say but I suppose I should have guessed that you were talking about the bike in your sig.:wink2:

Yeah, pic of your 'empty' frame would be handy, including where the hardtail is welded-in.

Also, chain/sprockets check, shift shaft shield check, throttle, clutch and tach cable (if used) lube, alternator connector(s) cleaning, ignition connector(s) cleaning, check end of neutral wire, check eng and battery vent tubes and routing (if used), clean end of battery ground cable, clean ends of other ground cables (top engine mount, if used), check ign condensers (inside top engine mount, if used).

Last edited:
Don't know if you're keeping any gauge's or not, but if so,, it would be a good time to change the bulb's. Goes for turn signal's too. But I kinda doubt you're gonna have those. :wink2:

yank the head and smooth out the rough castings. Not a lot, though. Just smoothe the bumps.
Or , leave a good running happy engine alone.

In the interest of this thread being potentially useful to someone else down the road, let's just pretend that my bike is still fully equipped. I can easily ignore things that don't apply to my ride.

I think TMXS1Bs gets it. I'm looking for the stuff that is drastically easier with an engine removed. I can check bulbs, switches, tire pressure, etc any time.

Lol. No, you are correct that this would be much much easier with the engine out of the frame!

Back