What was your first motorcycle ?

hamamatsu

Retired loafer
Reaction score
It's very interesting to hear riders talk about their first motorcycle and how they got started riding. My first ride on a motor driven two wheel vehicle was on a Whizzer motorbike that I borrowed from a buddy. After that first ride, I was hooked for life.

The very first bike I owned was a mid 1950s 49cc Sears Alstate mo-ped, from there it was a Harley 125cc Hummer, then on to a 500CC BSA Gold Star. Over the years I have owned 650 BSA, 441cc BSA Victor Special, several Honda's including a 305 SuperHawk, a Kawasaki KZ750 and many Yamaha's.

After all these years I still love motorcycles and look forward to every new riding season, but I have never been able to duplicate the feeling I got when I caught the first ride on the old Whizzer.

I'd be interested in knowing what bike got you started riding.

1967 Yamaha 305 scrambler.................a whole lot of fun!

Attachments

• 1967 305 Scrambler YM2C.jpg
    1967 305 Scrambler YM2C.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 122
My grandfather found me a cb125 I was 10 or so. I grew up in a small town and he was the cop so I rode it everywhere. Then he bought me a 79 xs650 special for my 16th birthday. I just bought one on Saturday just like my first xs650.

My first bike was a 1957 BSA 150cc Bantam. I was ten and rode it all over the canal banks. When I was 15 1/2 I had a Yamaha 250cc Big Bear Scrambler. Tony C

My first bike owned was a 60's Honda CB 77 (305). It was bought as a project with the cylinders bored out for CB 350 pistons. That kickstarter kicked forward! I learned a lot putting that engine together. Got it running but never rode it because I was transferred to a base in England. It was 1978 then. In '79 I found a CB 175 twin abandoned at the barracks and got that running and liecensed and that was my first ride. Later was a '74 Soviet built M-66 Ural with sidecar. Built like a tank and about weighed the same. That 650 motor moved it along ok. 30+ yrs later I still want another.
Why did I start rideing? Don't all young men in their late teens, early 20's want to ride a motorcycle? :bike: :thumbsup:

Besides the 4hp no suspension minibike, my first real motorcycle was a Honda XR100 when I was 12(?). Got my first streetbike at 16, a 1980 GS450S. Got another one now.

My first two wheel was a scooter. After that i picked up a honda crf50. Later that year i came across most of an xs650 disguised as a snowbank. I don't see myself leaving her any time soon.

My first motor bike was a 1981 honda express-2. After about 6 months or so I traded that for a 1972 hodaka super rat and also bought a hodaka road toad, holy crap what a difference! That is how I learned to ride.:bike:

I know I've posted the hell out of this but since you asked :laugh: Me on my first bike Christmas day "76" :D
me1976.jpg
Not the same bike, just bought it around Christmas time :bike:
cimg6489.jpg

My first ride was on a Harley (I think they were called Hummers) 125. A kid on our street got one, he was really old...15. I was all of 12. I sat on it but my feet wouldn't touch the ground, so he and another kid held it up to get me going. I rode it to the top of the hill and turned it around and headed back. They caught me as I came to a stop to keep it from falling over. That was in 1952. I was hooked, been riding ever since. BTW, my second ride was on a Whizzer. That particular one really was a P.O.S.

Last edited:
'79 Honda Z50. My grand-father found an old XR75 in a field. Had a pair of vise grips for a kicker. He gave it to me and my brother, but it was quite crappy so our father got rid of it. I remember my dad trying to get it running, but it never did.

My first bike was a 1962 CZ 175. Was delivered to the house in the back of an old Dodge car....in pieces. Paid WAY too much for it too. Anyhow, I managed to get it assembled. What a wondrous piece of crap it was...55mph flat out and a smoke screen that would make James Bond jealous;at least the cops couldn't catch me. Wound up needing engine parts, which were impossible to source way back then, so purchased a smashed up Suzuki GT185 and put the engine, back wheel and anything else shiny on the CZ....What a difference, it would top 85mph with that little twin cyl. engine. Sold it about 18 months later, sometimes I wonder what ever became of it; probably trashed...I still have the signal light switch to remember it by though and I still love the smell of two stroke smoke. It was followed by a '74 Kawasaki 400S3 and a couple of years later by the '75 XS650, which I still own.

I grew up riding the tank of whatever motorcycle my Dad had at the time, which were many. My very first ride on my own was a Sears Allstate moped. Made by Puch if I remember right. I was in the third grade and we used to ride it at school recess. My Dad was the teacher at a two room school house in Baker, Nevada. Grades 1-8. That was a fun year and a big reason I repeated the third grade the next year.:bike:

My first ever bike I paid my own money on. An XL250 Honda. Just picked this one up for a $100.00 with title.

xl2.jpg

xl1.jpg

Back