What was your first motorcycle ?

96 Honda VFR750F
Mine had a D+D SLip on with 3/4 of the packing removed. Miss the bike!
VP1361716_1.jpg

Mine was a 1977 RD400 (two cycle twin) short on torque, but if you kept it on "the boil" it would reward you with great fun ride. Great handling for the time...I would like to one day find one to play with!

My dad had one with chambers. The RDs are a blast. Just sold a RD125 last fall. It sure was fun.

My first bike was an old Rupp Mini Bike at age 5 that I still have, at age 9 my dad traded a Chevy 350 for an late 70's early 80's Kawasaki 90cc enduro. My first road bike at 16 was a 1976 XS that I still have. I have it torn down to motor and frame, I am doing some cleaning and going through every thing. Since it hasnt really been torn down in the 16 years that I have had it I thought it was time. I love the XS, it has great looks, sound and this will be the first time since I have owned it that it needs a carb rebuild. It still starts after sitting all winter on the 3rd or 4th kick.

My first ride was a 1989 Honda spree 70cc. in Ct anything over 50 cc you need your license. I took my test on it and watched several other people on air cooled Harley's fail. the state trooper who was giving the riding part of the test has the option to say start your bikes and they need to run till your up. well it was a summer morning about 80 degrees. and two of the Harley's over heated my scooter just sat there, she ran the course and then kept me on the road for 3 full years almost 6k of miles before I sold it

Kinda eased into it, started with parts and home made mini bikes including one that I had to swap the engine back into dads rototiller in the spring. :eek: A cushman. a Hummer that never ran, a Yamaha 100 twin that never ran good and finally a 305 Scrambler that ran great. We would run a series of trails and back roads and roll it, not running down to a gas station. Cop pulled me over on the way back to the trails and made me push that heavy SOB up the steep hill back to the trails. (I was 15 years old) He finally left when he figured I was going to die doing it. The tales of stupid motorcycle tricks pulled on that bike are near endless.

First bike was 1983 CB650 Nighthawk. I got it for $300. That bike was bulletproof. Leave it for a year and it still fires right up. I wish I hadn't sold it. Sold it at $600. Wow the bike appreciated in value..

I got a sears allstate moped like one of the other posts, but when my brother and I got a Hodaka Ace 90 we thought we were legit!

Honda CB77 Super Hawk....great first bike; had that just right amount of power for a novice....enough to be fairly easy to manage and enough to be exciting as your confidence and skill increased.

I first road at my Uncle's place on an old Honda, but all I ever did was go in circles around his house. Two years ago I decided if I was going to be an engineer, I should learn something about fixing stuff, so I found my '81 XS on Craigslist and bought it. I've had a lot of fun, taken a road trip or two, and I'm still learning plenty. I don't plan on "upgrading" for a good many years.

I almost keep forgetting about my first bike, didn't have it very long....dumb-ass kid that I was. 1958 Harley single 125. I was 17 or 18 at the time, back around 1969-'70. I siezed the engine and took it to some meth tweaking bikers for the repair. I got it back in pieces after their shop was closed down and sealed by the man, missing the highly sought after front wheel, whatever the hell was so special about it I hadn't a clue. Wish I still had the frame to that one, think I'd be tempted to put a 650 twin in it somehow.

This little Honda Mini Trail 70 was my first ride. I never had a problem catching the eye of a few ladies when I road this in high school :thumbsup: (Looking back now I dont know why they would have even cared!) I rode this thing everywhere, the only problem being it would only do 45 at best going down hill with the wind at my back! This wouldnt have been a problem but I lived off of a 55mph highway so ended up riding in the shoulder as cars drove past. Never had a run in with the law but convinced my dad that it probably wasnt the safest thing and that an upgrade was needed. Of course he said 'NO'...Kept at if for 2 weeks and he agreed. Next was a 250 Honda, then a Harley Sportster, then I got smart and bought my (non-running) xs650. Best motorcycle I have ever owned :D

Attachments

• P7250095.jpg
    P7250095.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 93
I almost keep forgetting about my first bike, didn't have it very long....dumb-ass kid that I was. 1958 Harley single 125. I was 17 or 18 at the time, back around 1969-'70. I siezed the engine and took it to some meth tweaking bikers for the repair. I got it back in pieces after their shop was closed down and sealed by the man, missing the highly sought after front wheel, whatever the hell was so special about it I hadn't a clue. Wish I still had the frame to that one, think I'd be tempted to put a 650 twin in it somehow.

pffft, They are Italian and worth a decent chunk of change in stock trim. Aermacchi built them.

My first was a 2001 v-star 650

My first bike was a Honda CB350 that I purchased new in 1968. My second bike was a XS650 that I purchased new in 1971. If I knew then what I know now I would have left it stock and would not have sold it. :banghead:

Attachments

• honda.jpg
    honda.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 110
  • things i built 007.jpg
    things i built 007.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 90
... My second bike was a XS650 that I purchased new in 1971. If I knew then what I know now I would have left it stock and would not have sold it. :banghead:

If it's any consolation (and it's probably not) you are joined by many, if not most of us here in similar sentiment. It's right up there with...."If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself".

Best, Blue

1978 Yamaha DT 400

Got it upon graduating High School in 1982.

Sold it in 1984.

Attachments

• 1978 yamaha .jpg
    1978 yamaha .jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 91
Back