What would it take to get the front wheel off the ground?

projectxs650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Was hanging out with a buddy and came across one of the old motorcycle mania's that the discovery channel use to do way back when. Was watching this scene where jesse james was able to get his front wheel off the ground about a foot when hes riding, not really a full wheelie.

start at the 1:08 mark

It got us talking about about what it would take for a xs650 to do that. We both agreed that with the age of our bikes, none could really do it in that manner without swaping some parts.

I don't ever plan to do something like that, but to help with our curiosity and discussion, what do you guys think would be needed to have a stock xs650 accomplish such a feat?:confused:

:bike: :laugh:

Attachments

• bike lift.jpg
    bike lift.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 122
A bigger rear sprocket makes it easy. Even the hot rod late model street fighters "gear em down" Popping the clutch with kind of a loose standing stance will bring it up. As the bike surges forward you snap back and your weight pulls back on the bars. Overdo that trick and you will be laying on the road. Part of the reason (or at least a result of) extended forks was easier wheelies. Short swing arms ditto.

Snicker a "big passenger" on the back almost guarantees them, I have a few stories about that..

A bigger rear sprocket makes it easy. Even the hot rod late model street fighters "gear em down" Popping the clutch with kind of a loose standing stance will bring it up. As the bike surges forward you snap back and your weight pulls back on the bars. Overdo that trick and you will be laying on the road. Part of the reason (or at least a result of) extended forks was easier wheelies. Short swing arms ditto.

Snicker a "big passenger" on the back almost guarantees them, I have a few stories about that..

you mean one of those build for power not speed models Gary?

A bigger rear sprocket was along the ideas of what I was thinking. how big are we talking about? I guess to a certain degree, any sprocket would work, just depends on the ease of it....

It is also going to make it rev rather high on the highway. Stock is 34, I am thinking 40ish teeth is going to let you loft it in first gear without any clutch work.

I rode Steve Dale's 81 with a 40 tooth rear and a 17" low profile tire, you had to be careful because the front end would come right up under hard throttle in first.

I remember changing the back sprocket on my 305 scrambler to a "big one", then it wheelied with ease.
My 76 350 chev pick up with a granny first gear could wheelie when I had the big fifth wheel trailer loaded up.

Back