what year engine is this and are some better than others to rephase?

simplejeff

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm just fresh on this so be kind...

hoping you can help.

I'm over here in Australia on the east coast and i'm looking at buying a TX650 having always wanted an XS. The one i'm looking at has different Vin and Engine numbers. The frame is from a 73" but i am unsure which year the engine is. I mostly want to know this as from what i have read about rephasing i would love to get it done done straight away, and i'm wondering if earlier or later models are better.

The engine number is S650215915

I've got a great little 80' SR400 at the moment for a daily runaround, and am trying to deicide between an old KZ750 a friend will sell me cheap and this TX650. I want something for longer riding around OZ (hence the rephase..) and lets be honest the KZ isn't really cinderella....I'm not a big guy either so size of the TX is appealing. If any of you guys have run an old late 70's KZ750 twin i'd love your opinion on them too

Cheers!

Hey Jeff welcome to the site.
If your engine is a (US) model it's 1972-1973
[TX 650 / (US) / 72-73 / 366 / S650- 200101]
even an Ausi model I'm sure it's 72/73

which is an early engine
the later engines the 477 Have more parts available
I have rephased and nonrephased xs650 engines the non rephased engines will cruise long distances just a well as rephased.

which is an early engine
I have rephased and nonrephased xs650 engines the non rephased engines will cruise long distances just a well as rephased.

Hey Carbon, you just exposed another XS650 myth. The rephase marketers, that make money from selling fictitious dream claims, will not be happy.

Ooops, I see a long thread, with the rephase guys claiming the amazing benifits of rephasing.:bike:

which is an early engine
Thanks for nailing down the year for me i am carbon, and appreciate the heads up on rephasing too. Guess it just sounds attractive for vibes and 5th gear etc...

Thanks again guys

Back