Dare not compare!! TX650/KZ750 Twin

simplejeff

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i've just joined in. Been reading your forum for a while and loving it.

Now this is dangerous territory for a newbie but bugger it...

So question is i'm looking at getting a 73' TX 650 or 70's KZ750 Twin ( i think it's late 70's) and i would love some feedback if anyone has ridden both? Unfortunately i have had the chance on neither as yet.

I'm currently riding a little 80' SR400 as a daily which i love for whipping around town- but am in the market for something bigger aswell, as i'm really keen to do some longer interstate rides through OZ.

PLEASE take it as a given that my heart already loves the XS650's and that i think the KZ looks ugly, heavy and cumbersome in comparison - but i'm hoping someone can be more objective than me and shed some light on the reality of riding them both long distance, and general maintenance and expenses.

Cheers!
:thumbsup:

Well you probably won't too many objective responses, but I would just say go with your first instinct and look at the resale value. Not to mention what options are possible with an xs. Besides I don' t know of any forums for the kz750 that you can get the info that is available here. Good luck to you and welcome!

"the KZ looks ugly, heavy and cumbersome

I think you have this all figured out.

There is a following for the KZ750 twins. Even a site dedicated to the series. I rode one for a short time(it wasn't my bike) many many years ago. I'd take one if the timing was right. I'm working on a KZ650/KZ750gpz hybrid. Every bike has good and bad points.

I liked the KZ750 when it was introduced. I don't think it's ugly. They didn't sell well and aren't all over the place like our XS650's are. Parts will be harder to find, and more money goes with that. I doubt any KZ750 that is not top notch will be as good a bike as the average XS650. The XS650 is a proven great platform, parts and support everywhere, not to mention better looking. You can customize it to death. The extra weight of the Kaw would bother me as I am only 5'7

images

They can be made to look very nice, but I think the squared-off, industrial look of the motor keeps them a step behind the XS when it comes to style. I rode one many years ago. I had a 1983 GS550E then, and it felt pretty slow compared to it. Of course, I was a sport-bike enthusiast then, so I hardly rode it like it was designed to be ridden.

As another member posted a few years ago, according to Bike Bandit, parts availability is actually amazingly good. I wonder if Kawasaki didn't just sell off it's entire inventory of parts for an unpopular bike it had long ago stopped making.

I don't think it's a bad looking bike at all. Certainly looks nice than a late model stock Special.

KZ750_05.JPG

Sure it's not as ugly as a Virago or CX500 but it ain't no beauty queen either!

Sure it's not as ugly as a Virago or CX500 but it ain't no beauty queen either!

I liked the early Virago a lot, the later ones not so much. Appearance is always up to the beholder and they out sold all their competition easily. The CX stuff was hideous to me.

Except for those monstrous side covers, the over all lines of the KZ750 twin followed the style of 650/4 and 900/1015 four cylinder Kawi's. The maroon one in the pic look's like it has a aftermarket 2 into 1 exhaust

Great to hear some more opinions, cheers guys!

Not sure if i've attached these right but you can see the two bikes if so...

THe Kwaka is unregistered and its kind of a guy i know, has just had it sitting in his garage for a year or so as he got given it as part payment for a job. Said he loved how it sounded! definitely needs some work but said i can have it for $1500 AUD

The 73' TX650 is also unregistered and comes with some bobber bits too (a TC bros hardtail kit, PWK carbs, TC bros fwd controls and 2 Sporty tanks. He want $4300AUD but i'm thinking $3300 sounds more like it. Not really interested in the fwd controls or the sporty tanks so could get some cash back there....

Anyways, cheers again for your pointers :thumbsup: If one of these 2 eventuates i'll keep you posted and let you know if i get a lemon! :eek:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 9.58.55 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 9.58.55 pm.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 391
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 10.00.39 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 10.00.39 pm.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 398
PS- can't help but picture that TX with the hardtail, 21 inch up front, 19 rear, fresh tank, old 70's king and queen and maybe one day when i grow up a 277* rephase......after selling a kidney

Thats a tough one... I have both...

The Yamaha xs 650 was my first bike so i have a soft spot for them. Parts are plentiful. They are cheapers...

My first bike i built...

YAMAHA+650+BRAT+002.jpg

On the other hand i got this kz750 twin while i was rebuilding the xs for the second time...

Kz freaking rips... the crankshafts have a counterbalance so that it doesnt vibrate quite as much as the xs...

Some parts are becoming harder to find for these bikes... but sometimes thats part of the fun...

Kawi+0050.jpg

I think it really just depends on your taste... i dont think one is better than the other... but im wrong constantly...

Back