What Year Hub Will Fit Rear 16" Spoked Wheel?

Uglies

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year hub will fit the rear 16" spoked wheel? Im looking to purchase one and need to know ahead of time and my second question if you dont mind is will the hub from a 18" rear fit the 16" as i have one of them?

Yep you just need to check whether you have the standard 36 spoke or Heritage style 48 spoke hubs. Then select the relevant rim and new spoke length and relace - Done
Ive just redone two hubs that were on 18" rims and relace to 19" - No problems

I just went through this and one thing I found in my limited experience is that a hub for an 18" rear may not have enough of a countersink where the spoke heads fit (on the inside of the hub, for the spokes that lace around the outside) to take the more extreme angle needed to lace to a 16" hub. So I can imagine that re-lacing 18 to 19 is easy, but the first rear hub I grabbed (from an 18" wheel) wouldn't lace up to a 16" rim - I just couldn't get those outside spokes to come in towards the center far enough to hit the nipples. Luckily I had another rear hub, and I checked it and the spokes could swing in to the center, because those inside countersink holes in this next hub were deeper/wider. So I am not sure that all hubs are created equal in this way. I was using a 36-spoke hub.

So maybe a more useful way to say this is, sure, go ahead and try your existing hub - it may work and it may not. If it doesn't, you will either have to modify it (which didn't look too straightforward to me, but I may lack skills), or start looking for a hub that originally laced up to a 16...

It will work. Just use the correct spokes. Mikes stainless 16 inch seem to be too short on the spoke heads. OEM are the way to go. Only con is that they are cad plated.

Yes a few have reported problems using an 18" hub with a 16" rim and mikes spokes. Not sure if it's the spokes or the countersink depth. Per the Yamaha parts diagrams the rear spoke hubs are all the same, 70-84. Also as stated, going the other way using a 16" hub with 18 or 19" rims is no problem.
While lacing a TX750 rear hub to a mikes 18" rim I had to use a wood block and hammer to add a bit of bend to the "outer" spokes, it then laced fine. YSMV

I used spokes from Heiden, stainless. Not sure if they are the same as Mike's or not. And they might have worked if I bent them, but they had a ways to go, like 1/2". What is weird if all hubs are the same is that they were not going to work on the first hub, so I grabbed the second, and they fell right into line...

Is it the '80-81 spokes that are 16" for the rear?

Thanks,

Justin

Back