What Year is this XS650? Looks like a 76' XS650C, but in Red, not French Blue

YL82

Perpetual Restorationist
Reaction score
I have a 1976 XS650C (French Blue).

I ran across the attached image of a red XS650(?) on the internet last year and I do not recall where it came from. I'm thinking Australia, but I'm not sure.

It has the same color scheme & markings as the French Blue, but in a red color.

I'd love to have one of these to go with my French Blue bike.

Could this be a color that was not available in the U.S.? I've never seen it listed as a color as a XS650C.

Or perhaps its not a 1976 XS650C as I presume it is...?

Of course, it could be a custom paint job....

At any rate, if anyone has any details on red XS650(C?)'s, I'd like to learn more about them and their availability.

Thanks!

Attachments

• PICT0051.jpg
    PICT0051.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 3,309
  • IMG_0907_1_1 (4).jpg
    IMG_0907_1_1 (4).jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,119
Thanks, Travis.

What a discerning eye you have!

I've often wondered why a Red-White-Blue XS650 was not a color offering for the U.S. market in 1976 (Bicentennial Year)....???

:)

Maybe Yamaha Unlike some other companies had the good sense not to hawk Japanese wares with the US patriotic colors? Yes I think we have a European member with that year bike in those colors.

Yep, That's the site!!

I just love the Red, would like nice sitting in my garage next to my French Blue. Oh, well. No plans to travel to Australia or anywhere outside the US...

I'm going to try to find a '78E standard in the Spruce Hunter Green. I really like that color scheme too.

Thanks very much for the weblink!!

Just get another C & paint it to the red coulour scheme, you dont want to buy one over here. A lot dearer than the U.S. for 2nd hand machines...

The Brilliant Red (0063) was a standard colour option for just about all markets including North America. Europe had the twin disc, different graphic choice and Crystal Silver (0020) as a colour option.

And I thought red white and blue was tacky on a Japanese Motorcycle. LOL!!
I like that green too. Looks GREAT Grepper.

NICE! :thumbsup:

What an amazing looking E.

Thank you for sharing and making me GREEN with envy. :D

Say, is that a Michigan State Spartan Green? LOL.

I also see one 76 XS650 for sale here in Quebec with the red color. I wasn't sure if this color was "stock" from Yamaha but I see that it is.

I realy like the spruce green and I have one, brought to the uk from america last year. The chap I bought it from also had a french blue one and sold it on ebay uk. Keep looking for the red, may have been called burgundy.

Yamaha produced 2 colors for the XS 650 C in 1976 French Blue, Yamaha tells me was distributed in North America, I have a 1976 XS 650 C in brilliant Red, I know it is original as I bought it new in 1976 in Canada

Anyone have a color code for a paint to match the 78E standard in the Spruce Hunter Green? I have a starlight blue one and am thinking about going green.

Last edited:
Back