Make Offer - What's it worth

Spockwerks

NAMAZU Pez de Terremoto
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

We, that's me and the Missus are planning to move from frigid and fickle New Jersey to hot and fickle Florida some time in the next 2 years as circumstances permit. My No. 1 bike Namazu the Earthquake Fish is out for powder coating as I write. The No.3 bike is a '70s purple with disc brake rear for sale for parts but not really the topic of this thread. Let's talk about No.2, a 1983 Yamaha XS650 Heritage Special. According to the title it has been ridden 114,000.00 , but I don't believe it. Why? Because back in the day odometers did not read that high, when you got to 100,000 miles the next click was back to zero and start over. Visit any salvage yard and you will find the typical mileage on bikes from that era is about 14,000 miles and change. The way NJ titles are formatted it is not clear if you are supposed to include the tenths of a mile at the end of the odometer reading or not. There is no way to include the decimal point but there is also no way to back up and change the mistake. Aaaahhhh New Jersey! What it boils down to is that it could go either way, and there is no way to tell what the true mileage of this machine is. While I believe it only has 14,000 mi. on it I have to respect the possibility that it could have 100,000 more. Sure to win most miles award at any rally.
I've had this bike for about 20 years. Back then, aside from this spare bike I had another spare engine. Internally the spare engine was a lot fresher so I had it overhauled by FONZ a locally well known machine shop specializing in dragster engines and other racing bits. Using all genuine Yamaha parts like valves, guides, pistons, rings, gearbox & clutch parts I spent $2,000.00 on the engine alone. Wrapped it in plastic and tucked it away for later. I also have the original engine complete in one piece as part of the package.
Today it is too cold to do anything, but this project is approaching final assembly. Electrics are in very VERY good condition, rubber is fresh, not new, beefy Dunlop. Derale Oil Cooler, aluminum fork brace, Dual discs on the front, drum in back. Wheels have lots and lots of spokes. Electronic tach, chrome 2.75" matching speedometer. Roller brgs in the steering neck, bronze swing arm bushings. KONI adjustable damping and spring compression shocks out back. K&N carb filters, stock 34mm CV carbs almost like new. Original exhaust system solid left and right with just a hint of rust here and there.
Brand new chain & sprockets 17/34, new cam chain too!
LED turn sigs, instrument lights, tail & stop lights, Halogen hdlt

This not a complete list, I am concentrating on the wiring now. Weather has to warm up before I can paint...If I paint. Do not know if I should though. Mechanically the bike is perfect and virtually in showroom condition. Paint is one of the most personal parts of the statement and I don't want to go ruining or limiting the next owners possibilities, but then if old paint really hurts the selling price I would wind up screwing myself.

:shrug:So what do I do? It hasn't been run yet, but if someone made me a nice offer I would let it go today. I am building it to sell it after all so it needs to be safe and reliable for a guy new to bikes or another old timer with a few in the shed.:bike:

Back