whats out there for xs sidecar pics?

real sidecar!
Matt_Moloney_Bike2.jpg

Matt_Moloney_Bike1.jpg

I,ve been away for a while because I sold my XS project in a moment of weakness.

I just obtained a Velorex 562 Sidecar attached to a tired old Suzuki GS-850. I want to find a better bike to mount it to. The XS came to mind but I am wondering if it has the power to pull the load.

Not looking to cruise the interstate an 70, more like back roads at 45. The car weighs in at about 150 Lbs. plus with both kids and the car battery I use for ballast I am looking at
around 300 Lbs in the car plus my 190 Lbs puts it up to 500 total payload.

Right now the GS does a fine job of pulling the weight but if I lose a couple cylinders will I be overtaxing the motor and clutch ? Should I stick with a inline four or maybe a triple.

I,ve been away for a while because I sold my XS project in a moment of weakness.

I just obtained a Velorex 562 Sidecar attached to a tired old Suzuki GS-850. I want to find a better bike to mount it to. The XS came to mind but I am wondering if it has the power to pull the load.

Not looking to cruise the interstate an 70, more like back roads at 45. The car weighs in at about 150 Lbs. plus with both kids and the car battery I use for ballast I am looking at
around 300 Lbs in the car plus my 190 Lbs puts it up to 500 total payload.

Right now the GS does a fine job of pulling the weight but if I lose a couple cylinders will I be overtaxing the motor and clutch ? Should I stick with a inline four or maybe a triple.
The xs is a great bike for sidecar use, a perfect match for the velorex :thumbsup: Look in my album and see sidecar build... http://www.xs650.com/forum/member.php?u=344

Thanks Gordon , Your rig was the inspiration for me to buy a sidecar. I have a pic of yours up on the wall of my garage. I always wanted to build an off-road capable hack but dont really want to spend 20 G's for one.

As soon as I can get rid of a couple bikes I will start looking for another XS. I need to make some space in the garage, Sidecars sure take up a lot of space!

Thanks Gordon , Your rig was the inspiration for me to buy a sidecar. I have a pic of yours up on the wall of my garage. I always wanted to build an off-road capable hack but dont really want to spend 20 G's for one.

As soon as I can get rid of a couple bikes I will start looking for another XS. I need to make some space in the garage, Sidecars sure take up a lot of space!
Hey Furious, Glad I could inspire someone :) Please keep us posted and if I can be of any help with info and such don't hesitate to ask. Sidecars are a blast, a forgoten form of fun :bike:

Hey Roy, Why don't we just build it? We can make it from scatch any way you like! You have any pictures of this "sprint" style you're looking for? p.s. gotta post a pic of mine since this is a sidecar thread :bike:

That is SICK! I love the bike by itself, but the hack makes it even cooler.

That front end looks like it would be hard to turn with the axle so far forward. Is it?
No it's much easier! BIG subject! The rake is stock but the trail is reduced. This makes for power steering like feeling with a sidecar but a tank slapper without a sidecar. The trail on a stock bike is such that your bike wants to upright itself after a turn, on two wheels you lean in corners. But a sidecar does not lean so that same trail makes you always want to go strait making it difficult to turn. Sorry, not good at explaining things :shrug: If you look at my rig on this page you'll see mine is same way, ahead of stock location (top picture see it best) look at space between tire and frame.

That front end looks like it would be hard to turn with the axle so far forward. Is it?

Because of the rake on the front end, the axle looks like it is a fair way forward, but it actually has neutral trail, and it steers really well.

Posted via Mobile

Because of the rake on the front end, the axle looks like it is a fair way forward, but it actually has neutral trail, and it steers really well.

Posted via Mobile
Sorry but you're 180 degrees off :yikes: You are right about neutral trail but wrong in the why. If you rake out a front end you increase trail. The "leading link" you are running ruduces trail and makes it easier to turn. Chopper guys will know exactly what I'm talking about. When you rake the neck out the front end is heavy feeling when you are just sitting there turning it back and forth, you can even feel the bike raise when centered at zenith and lower when turned left or right. With the "leading link" you lose this effect because of the reduced trail. Sidecars don't lean and the stock rake and trail makes it hard to turn, the rig wants to go strait. P.S. And your comment about your "real sidecar"!!! You bought that "wasp" outfit, I built mine :poke:

trail2.jpg

leadinglink2.gif

Thanks for the detailed explanation and the cool pics.

Ok perhaps I worded it wrong,
Bacause of the rake, the front swingarm needs to be that long to maintain correct trail.

You bought that "wasp" outfit, I built mine :poke:

Not bought wasp, that is a homebuilt replica. Made from 4130 and tig welded, not Reynolds tube and bronzed like the originals.
Only a few minor differences, jap wheels, and brakes, acerbis plastics, acerbis fuel cap instead of the original monza type cap, aluminum side covers instead of fiberglass, linear chain adjusters, not eccentric, etc. but other than that it is a pretty true copy of the original RT2.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 3k93m33le5T05X15S4aab0c81f84cb63d1a26.jpg
    3k93m33le5T05X15S4aab0c81f84cb63d1a26.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 271
  • 3n83of3l55V25S65R1aab46614089a6db1fcb.jpg
    3n83of3l55V25S65R1aab46614089a6db1fcb.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 245
  • 3m43p83lb5V65P25S2aab3cd56b6219571908.jpg
    3m43p83lb5V65P25S2aab3cd56b6219571908.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 240
  • 3k43pb3le5Y35O15T2aab3d720790e2df1b22.jpg