What's the best mod/upgrade I can do to my bike? 81 xs650

ramairgtz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm very new to these bikes and was wondering what was the best mod/upgrade I should do to my bike? It's an 81 xs650. I'm going to keep it very simple kick start only, headlight, taillight and I may put some signals on it. I've been doing alot of reading on here and was thinking banshee swap with pamco ignition. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• search button.png
    search button.png
    136 KB · Views: 289
I always suggest to first, re wire, brakes, tires, clean carbs, adjustments all around, if you haven't already. Start with a tip-top running, driveable, and safe bike, then modify.
The Pamco and PMA are great.

I work the handling bugs out 1st before hopping things up. Replace the steering head bearings and swingarm bushings, upgrade the rear shocks and fork springs. Make it handle better and you will go faster even with a stock motor.

Not really worried about going fast I'll hop on my zx6r if I want to do that. Frame is getting hard tailed so replace the steering head bearings and rebuild the forks.

How is the engine running now? When I bought mine, it was running fine, just wouldn't charge. Have you checked the rotor to see if it is charging? If all that is ok, then you are in good shape. You are probably gonna want to simplify your wiring, and I see you wanna keep all the electrics simple too. Putting on the hardtail is gonna require some rewiring and removing some of the unnecessary electrical shite. Get you a good diagram laid out of all that too.

I was told by the previous owner that the motor ran great but I haven't herd it for myself. It sat with some gas in it for 3 years and the tank is rusty and the carbs were a huge mess. When I get the hardtail welded on I'll put the motor back in the frame and run the wiring and see what happens. The carbs are now clean and the motor has good compression so it should all be good.

tadd, funny you say that. I always thought, as I have seen about everyone do it, to take the engine out, then you need to make a jig to weld the tail on. I got my new one just done and he took the carbs off, covered it with an asbestose blanket, and cut the tail off. The damn hardtail matched up perfect. Kinda like chopping a car roof.

Back