What's the difference in a standard and special?

Tacforce650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Picked a 1980 xs650 yesterday. I start doing a little research for the vin numbers. The idiot before me had spray bombed over the I'd tag, but luckily he must have used some junk BC it scraped right off and I was able to retrieve the number. It starts with a 2f0 which from what I understand makes it a special. Is that correct? The next question is what's the difference in a standard and a special?

Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XS_650 Most of the differences are cosmetic, but the Standards do handle differently then the Specials due mainly to changes in stance, shock position, wheel sizes, rider position etc. Many prefer the Standard models and they are harder to find, (in good condition) today. Specials have their own following and are the XS650s of choice for those who are planning to chop, bob or otherwise heavily modify their bike. Read, Read, Read.

roy

Number is also stamped on frame neck next to the label. From the factory the engine number also matched found on the front behind the tach drive.

framespecial.jpg

framestandard.jpg

Like Royboy sez The differences are minor if you are doing a custom.

Thanks for the answers guys! This bike has already been bobbed out. Not done in the best of fashions but luckily I'm a welder so I should have this thing looking great in a little bit of no time!

All 650s from 1980 on were Specials. The last Standard was made in '79. Easiest "tell" when looking at a frame is the rear peg/muffler hanger. Standards used a tube loop, Specials a bent tube braced with a gusset plate.

Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XS_650 Most of the differences are cosmetic, but the Standards do handle differently then the Specials due mainly to changes in stance, shock position, wheel sizes, rider position etc. Many prefer the Standard models and they are harder to find, (in good condition) today. Specials have their own following and are the XS650s of choice for those who are planning to chop, bob or otherwise heavily modify their bike. Read, Read, Read.

roy

There is some misleading info in that Wikipedia

I believe if you do a little math, you can set up a Special to ride just like the standard. Note that the shocks are tilted forward on the Special while almost vertical on the standard, and both bikes wear the same shocks. Lengthen the shocks to compensate for that, and don't forget about the wheel/tire in the equation. gggGary's post gives you most of the info you need.

Special shock mounts are located forward and down so the swing arm angle is very close if not the same. What probably changes the handling more is that fat tire on a 16" rim. If the swing arm bushings and steering bearings are worn, replacing them might improve handling more than changing to an 18" rear wheel tire combo

130/90-16 goes on the Special. 130/25.4=5.12 inches x .9=4.6 inches x 2 + 16 = a tire diameter of 25.21 inches.

What tire size does the standard wear?
120/90-18? 120/25.4=4.72 inches x .9=4.25 inches x 2 + 18 = a tire diameter of 26.5 inches.

If I'm using the correct numbers, the standard wheel/tire will make the back of the bike .65 in higher than the Special wheel/tire combo.

If you're going to modify a Special to ride sporty, how do we correct this further? We are forward 46mm and down 20mm. Are you going to make me do geometry?

Back