What's the Spring Rate on this Hammer Head?

glennpm

Another Old Biker Nut!
Reaction score
Hi,

I got a nice pair of RedWing Hammer Head progressive shocks with my bike but the PO doesn't remember what spring rate he got, thinking they are the stiffest available at the time from Omar's. I've written to Omar a couple of times but so far no response. Can anyone ID this based on the number of coils and configuration of the attached? This is what he presently has but the shocks weree bought around a year ago.

75/120 lb black progressive springs
90/130 lb black progressive springs

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN1486.JPG
    DSCN1486.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 91
You can take the shocks apart and use a drill press with a bathroom scale on the table. Put the spring on teh scale and use the chuck to push the spring down an inch. Note the pounds on the scale.

Another way is to put the shocks on the bike and see if the spring rate is perfect for you. You'll be in the dark about the rate but lucky that, whatever it is, it's perfect!

Tom Graham

The numbers on the rate are the first inch and the last inch. The 75 is lbs to compress the first inch, the 120 is lbs for the last inch. Using the drill press you can check both.
Leo

Thanks Guys,

I had thought about actually measuring it but the force to do it and measure gets too dangerous. I'll probably do what TomTerrific said and just ride it and be happy.

I was hoping someone had a set and could see from the number of tight coils and spacing that it matched their units.

Back