What's this bit do?

Willholmania

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's this thing on the back of the head? Looks like it should have two rubber tubes coming out of it that may have been sliced off.

Attachments

• IMG_3407.jpeg
    IMG_3407.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 97
Yup - and it you don't put some tubes on there and route them...somewhere, oily mung will barf all over the backside of the cylinder barrels.

As NightHog says, there are two spigots on the stock airbox to which you run the rubber tubes and if you don't have the airboxes, then some folks run them down onto the chain as a sort of "poor-man's" Scottoiler. The amount of stuff that comes out is not massive, but it will make a mess if you don't handle it.

Pete

You do not have the stock airbox. You could attach tubes to the two spigots and route them to a catch-bottle attached somewhere. Or you could route them near the chain, as Pete has suggested.

My bike had similar two-spigot breather box, with two rubber tubes routed to the standard air filter box. The tubes were a nuisance as they took up space in a very crowded area.

But then I swapped the engine and the replacement motor has a single spigot, which gave me pause for thought. So now I have a single rubber tube, routed down between the carbs, in front of the swing-arm pivot and venting into fresh air below the engine.

This arrangement has given no problems.

Do leave those rubber reducer plugs in the outlets. They're supposed to be there to reduce the opening size. Without them, you might get too much oil and oil vapor coming out.

Back