What's this?

buddha-on-a-bike

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I'm working on my clutch/transmission problems. I opened the right side of the engine and found this laying loose. Anyone know what it's a piece of? The coin's there for reference.
16115212036254295128763533483727.jpg

You're absolutely right. Can't believe I didn't notice that. How important are those springs? I can't really tell what they do. Do you think that could be causing my problem? Problem being: it just won't shift right. When I got it it seemed to be stuck in neutral and I replaced a broken tension spring on the stopper lever. Now it seems to be stuck in some gear or other. The shifter lever will move up one click or down one click but that's it.

Hi
Can be different things
First I would check the clutch adjustment
Most likely the problem.
If you replaced a spring there -- not sure which one but there are adjustments that can be done
Do you have a central stand try to move the rear wheel when shifting after clutch adjustment
And checking that the clutch disengages
The broken spring part of I believe is for shock absorbing ,,and not causing shifting difficulties

So I seem to be making progress on my shifting problems. Now it's shifting fine to 1st, neutral, 2nd, 3rd, and almost into 4th, but it doesn't "click" into 4th like it does the gears. And it won't go into 5th at all. Is this still just an adjustment issue? The spring I replaced was the one just above the starwheel. The old one was broken.

Back