Wheel bearing spacer

badassjamie

Blow Me
Reaction score
There is a spacer between the bearings on a front hub. Probably on the rear hub as well.
The one I have is about 3" long with a small hole.

How absolutely necessary is it that it be in place?

The bearings are so tight, I don't see the clear logic of it's purpose other than just occupying space on the axle. It's not like its a press fit or anything where the hub would collapse on itself.

It keeps the inner races from impoding when you tighten the axle. With it installed it keeps the spaceing like one solid tube over a rod. No stress on the bearings other than normal rotation and side forces its designed for. Without the spacer the inner races are wanting to move to the center of the wheel and the ball bearings are being stressed the most. When (not if) they fail, it won't be pretty. Put the spacer in.

^I doubt the axle nut would ever tighten. It would crush the bearings and then screw down on the axle as far as it would go and stop.

No, it doesn't matter which way around you put it in there, as long as it's in there. The small hole in the side of the spacer was to aid in removing the wheel bearings. It was eliminated on later ones.

I believe the only purpose of that flange is to help keep the spacer centered more in the hub while installing the bearings. I don’t think it is a crucial bit as long as the spacer is in there.

Back