wheel bearings (actual photos please!!)

robert1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I took apart my wheels months ago and i am finally putting everything back together and i have gone over every post regarding this along with my haynes manual and i just cant seem to see things straight.
can someone post pics of how the wheels are to be assembles in regards to the spacers and bearings. it seems that i have inner spacers with the cup built onto the center spacer, does it matter which way its positioned? i recall it does but cant find any more info.
sorry to ramble i just need clarification.
also i have mags with disks
actual photos would help a lot
thanks all
Bob

Last edited:
inner spacers with the cup built onto the center spacer, does it matter which way its positioned?

In the rear, the cup goes on the right side. I think it's only to keep the center spacer from falling over until there's some axle pressure on the assembly. The blow apart diagram doesn't show that very well.

thanks guys, but does anyone have actual photos? of all the parts lined up in sequence?

worthless_thread_wo_pics.gifyou mean you didn't take pics when YOU took it apart?

Last edited:
I have many pics for most of the assemblies on the 650 but none for the wheel bearings. Why? Probably because they're so simple with only a few parts involved (2 seals, 2 bearings, one inner spacer, and a couple outer ones). All I ever used or needed was this parts diagram for the rear (and nothing for the front) .....

RearWheelBearings.jpg

Of note on the rear is spacer #20, what Yamaha refers to as a "collar". You must have this and it must be installed into the left bearing from the rear side. It sleeves the bearing I.D. down so it fits the axle and also contributes to the side to side spacing. The wheel will not function properly without it.

I have many pics for most of the assemblies on the 650 but none for the wheel bearings. Why? Probably because they're so simple with only a few parts involved (2 seals, 2 bearings, one inner spacer, and a couple outer ones). All I ever used or needed was this parts diagram for the rear (and nothing for the front) .....

RearWheelBearings.jpg

Of note on the rear is spacer #20, what Yamaha refers to as a "collar". You must have this and it must be installed into the left bearing from the rear side. It sleeves the bearing I.D. down so it fits the axle and also contributes to the side to side spacing. The wheel will not function properly without it.

im i seeing this wrong or what but it looks like the top hat goes on the inside to fave up with the inner spacer???

Can anyone tell me, is the spacer, 23 usually pressed into the sheet metal dust cover, 24? I'm trying to put my rear wheel back on. I know I have the top hat and other internal space in the wheel (between the bearings). I believe I kept all the other spacers, # 23 above and it's counterpart on the brake side. Both of these, I believe, a pressed into the respective dust covers, which are sheet metal. When I go to assemble the wheel to the swing arm, I still end up with 1" of slop! I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and I'm sure I've got all the parts. Any ideas?

GOT IT.....Forgot to put the brake calliper on! DOH! And, yes, the dust covers are pressed over the spacers.......:) On to the next problem.....

Last edited:
Since you figured this out, could YOU post the pictures of everything laid out? haha, I am having a similar problem... I have a gap between my wheel and caliper bracket.

Here is the link to the post I made:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22801&highlight=axle+spacer

Only fair! Sorry for the delay - I had to take the wheel off to get the pic (needed to torque up the sprocket and disc bolts anyway). Appologies for the poor photo quality!

left to right: nut# 26, adjuster #25, cover #24, collar # 23, cover #12, collar #11, adjuster, caliper, adjuster #13. Not shown are the bearings, wheel, oil seals and the "top hat" spacer (#6), which fall between the collars. The covers are pressed onto the collars, so, the appear to be a single assembly.

Everthing is back together, with a few challengers getting things lined up with the frame and pushing the axel through.

Hope this helps!

Only fair! Sorry for the delay - I had to take the wheel off to get the pic (needed to torque up the sprocket and disc bolts anyway). Appologies for the poor photo quality!

left to right: nut# 26, adjuster #25, cover #24, collar # 23, cover #12, collar #11, adjuster, caliper, adjuster #13. Not shown are the bearings, wheel, oil seals and the "top hat" spacer (#6), which fall between the collars. The covers are pressed onto the collars, so, the appear to be a single assembly.

Everthing is back together, with a few challengers getting things lined up with the frame and pushing the axel through.

Hope this helps!

here's the pic.....

Attachments

• DSCN1489.jpg
    DSCN1489.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 335
Back