Wheel choices for '72 XS2

Thumpower

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I found after purchase that my XS has a 16" rear wheel; correct should be an 18", I believe. Also, the fork tubes were extended. I have replaced the fork tubes with correct length now. How will the 16" rear wheel work with this front end (stock 19" front wheel)?

If necessary, I would be happy to swap the 16" rear for an 18"; if bike will ride normal with this setup (16"), fine. Just concerned that the bike may sit high/low in the rear due to incorrect wheel. Right now, I have the bike on a stand after doing the forks. I need to replace both tires in any case.

Also, does anyone know what the stock length is for the spring spacer. I am running some of Mike'sXS progressive springs; I cut what looked like about the right size, but am not sure just what the correct length is.

Thanks.

the 16" rear wheel uses a tire that is tall, so its circumference is pretty close to that of an 18" rear wheel. IIRC the height difference is about an inch.

Last edited:
I also own a XS2 and I replaced front spring with progressive spring from 650central. I don't remember the length of the spacers I did, I think they are only 5/8" long but I'm not sure. I tried to find about the same feeling than with the stock spring/spacer when I replaced the nut. For the rear wheel, maybe you can use the hub you have and lace it to a 18" rim with new spokes. I'm pretty sure it will work.

But 16" rear wheel isn't stock for a XS2, 18" rear and 19" front spoke chrome wheel (not aluminium rim, first year is 1974) were the only option in 1972. You can keep the 16" with the correct tire, it won't really change the height. If you want to keep it stock, you'll have to replace it for a 18" rim.

Thanks a lot, 72XS2. Do you remember how difficult it was to put the fork caps back on with the spacer? Mine were a 2-man job! Maybe they are too long. Mine actually preload the spring a bit. I would like to bring this bike back to stock, but if the 16" will be rideable, I may delay the switch back to 18" for a while. I passed thru Quebec last June on the 4 corners tour - what a beautiful country! I collected some really strange pocket change. I was wishing I remembered more of my high school French, though. Today I'm going to put the fender, front wheel, etc. back on and, if I can replace the master, maybe I'll take it out for a ride! have a great day.

It's hard to say it on a forum but I was able to screw it by pushing it firmly with the palm of the hand with the stock spring/spacer. Just needed to push and turn straight at the same time to not damage the fine thread on the cap. 130/90-16 is the correct size for a 16" wheel and 110/90-18 (or 4.00-18) for a 18" wheel.

Thanks so much for the info. for mine, my son had to push down the cap (very hard!) while I turned the cap. I think maybe I cut mine a little too long. What you describe is more typical. I just wasn't sure; oh, well, I'm a little hefty, so maybe the preload will be a good thing! Thanks for the info on the 16" tire size; the one I have on now looks like more of a car tire...I will need to replace.

I didn't try it since the rebuild on my XS2 is not complete. Maybe I will have to cut new spacers, I don't know how it will work with the new progressive springs. If you try them before me, tell me how they work and what length do you use for your spacer.

To know what length spacer you need you have to figure out the laden sag. To figure the laden sag. Put a zip tie around the fork tube between the lower tree and fork lower. Slide it down to the dust cover.
Now with a freind holding the bike up straight, carefully getting on the bike in all the gear you ride in. Set in the riding postion. Now carefully get back off the bike. Measure the distance between the zip tie and the dust cover.
This is your laden sag. For most street riding 25 is ok. For a softer ride 30 mm, for a firmer ride 20.
Take your measurement and find the difference between that and the 25 mm If yours is say 40 mm the difference is 15 mm. Cut a new spacer 15 mm longer than the one you have in the fork and install it. This should get you close to the 25 mm laden sag spec.
If your measure ment is say 12 mm then you need to shorten the spacer by 13 mm. The difference between what you have and the 25 mm.
You should adjust the preload on the rear shocks to match the front.
Do it like you did the front but measure from a piont on the frame near the shock straight down to the swing arm, then at the same places after you get on the bike.
If the laden sag is to much tighten the spreing preload adjuster, if not enough loosen the adjuster.
Also the stock fork oil amount is a little low. Adding up to 2 extra ounces improves the fork action. On your 72 it calls for 4.6 ounces of 30 w oil. I might try 6.5 ounces of 20 w oil.
On my 75 with 79 forks the stock spec is 5.8 ounces, I run 7.5 to 8 ounces of ATF in the fork.
Using a lighter or heavier oil in the forks will change how they act. A thinner oil lets them respond faster to bumps. Heavier slows the action.
At just 7 ounces of oil experimenting with different oils and levels won't cost much and you might like the results.
Leo

Back