Wheel questions!

Hudson

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I picked up an XS650 in boxes and it came with cast wheels. I want to have spoked wheels so managed to pick up an 18" drum type rear wheel and this front wheel:

2012-01-11212753.jpg

I bought it in hurry and it turns out the wheel is from an XS2 and has a different rim type. What bits do I need to be able to fit this wheel to my XS650 and are they harder to source than XS650 bits?

Also I want to run the same size wheels front and rear on my bike, so im looking into possibly building an 18" rim around this front wheel I now have. Is this possible? If yes, where can I buy the rim and spokes to do this that suit my hub?

Thanks alot in advance

Rich

I wouldn't bother with that front wheel. It uses a funky, overly complicated disc mount that was only used in '72 and '73. All that stuff's hard to find. Sell it to someone with a '72-'73 and find a '74 or newer front hub. They will take any XS disc, old or new style. The rear will probably be fine. MikesXS has rims and spokes but not sure if they have them for an 18" front conversion. I heard RD350 spokes will work for that.

+1, sucker someone else into that 72 wheel. start fresh with a late 73 up wheel.

If you decided not to use that front rim, I might be that sucker in the market for it as long as the rim is in near perfect condition. :D

Let me know. Thanks

Cool cheers for the replies! I guess thats why it was cheap and i rushed to get it haha. Yeah sorry guys might cost a bit to get it shipped to the US from where i am!!

I'll try get hold of the newer disc wheel then. Will this rim in the link work with both front and rear hubs with the right spokes to suit?

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/34-3182.html

Also whats the width of the stock 18" rear wheel?

Thanks again!

2.15 is the stock width for the 18" rear, just like that one in your link. The angle of the spoke holes may need to be changed to use it with a smaller diameter front disc hub.

Back