wheel swap

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
im swaping my tx74 wheels with a aust member for a set of 81 mags (rear 16inch) both rear drum brake.is there any part of the swap not interchanible (ie, brake hub spacers,brake rod etc)

I did a similar swap, and it turns out the spindles are different lengths!! Just measure your spindles, if they the same, it should be fine, if not, keep yours and the spacers!! Everything else remains the same.

Your disc is different than his so keep that as well. He'll need to put his disc on your front wheel.

TX74? I assume you mean a 74 TX650A. 74 was the year they made a lot of changes to the frame.
From that year on all the wheels swapped. Very easy if the brakes match. The 70-73 had a shorter rear axle. Mostly because of thinner axle plates on the swing arm.
All the years from 74 on use the same axles.
Leo

thanks everyone,yes it is the 447 frame (tx650 1974) so basicaly,just send each other the wheels only.with but the rear brake rod (stablizing rod?that holds the brake hub still) are they the same lenght on the 18 in wheel as the 16 in wheel.

You may want to swap them as well. Although they're the same length, the Special version has a dimpled side to clear that fat 16" tire.

You may want to swap them as well. Although they're the same length, the Special version has a dimpled side to clear that fat 16" tire.

thanks that really helps.reason im doing the swap is a couple of years ago picked up a replic shell swing arm built to go on a special.its about (roughly,1in shorter and will take a 16in tyre roughly 1 in wider than the normal special) so will need a 16in wheel with a wider lower profile tyre

From the parts diagrams, here are the two arm styles. Your current one is just tubing with no dimple .....

TorqueArm.jpg

The Special version is dimpled to clear the 16" tire .....

SpecialTorqueArm.jpg

Back