When did it become a privilege?

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
During a conversation with a friend I learned that if you're pulled over in your car and it isn't insured, you can lose your license. During my college years and early work years I never had insurance but drove carefully and never had a wreck and was pulled over only once or twice. No insurance was just a small fine in those days. My financial gamble to make.

Ever since I was a kid I've heard the phrase "driving is a privilege, not a right." Now, just when did it become a privilege? Obviously it belonged to "the people" first, since they originated it. Who signed it over and transformed it from a right into a privilege? On what authority? :)

When ppl sacrificed their liberty for a little security... They obtained neither, nor do they deserve them.

However, I have been hit by an uninsured driver... It sucks. Luckily I had uninsured driver coverage otherwise I'd been sitting there with a very large totaled paperweight...

Yup tough deal all around I've done the uninsured thing in the past and am guilty now of running "fixer uppers" on a borrowed plate. But I have close neighbor who survived her car being crushed by an uninsured woman who was arguing on her cell phone when she launched over the center line divider. It killed everyone in the offenders car. Sheriff said he was real surprised to find a live body in the neighbors car. It took 9 months and two surgeries to get use of her foot back (mostly). That is pretty unfair too. Luckily her homeowners umbrella paid her huge medical bills.

Defense was the last thing on your neighbor's mind. Because of the liberty she imagined she traded for safety, perhaps.

But her medical bills wouldn't have been so huge were it not for the insurance industry again, but that's a different topic. I shouldn't have mentioned insurance. I just want to ponder why we don't own driving anymore.

Like all actions in a society the right to perform is one granted by those around you. If they don't like what you are doing they can stop you. It has always been that way and always will be. I am pretty far to the liberty side but understand why there are laws too. New neighbor likes his music pretty loud, we may have a discussion about that if it starts to hurt my right to enjoyment of my property.

- if driving was a right we'd have wheels instead of feet

Good point. By the same token, if freedom of the press was a right, we'd be born knowning how to read and write!

Found this on the net.
"Privilege.
It's simple. A RIGHT is guaranteed and cannot be taken away.
I know of no guaranteed right that requires you to be A) schooled in, and B) successfully pass physical and written tests for.
I also know of no guaranteed right that you can C) be fined for, and lastly that D) can be taken away. "

Here in MO in order to get your vehicle registered and be issued a plate you must show proof of financial responsibility , ie. a card from your insurance carrier showing at the minimum a policy for liability insurance. Let is lapse and the state wants their plate back. Get in an accident with no insurance and they'll want their plate back AND your drivers license.
I have a friend whose wife is a lawyer. She worked for several different insurance carriers. If you hit me with no insurance my insurance company pays me. Then they hire her to go after you. File suit against you. Garnish your check. Prevent you from renewing your license unless a payment schedule is worked out. Stop paying? Back to court. They'll get their money believe me. Her job was called "subrogation".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subrogation

Here in the UK the cop cars & roads are loaded with number-plate recognition cameras , if you pass one riding/driving an uninsured bike or car you will have it instantly impounded & unless its collected by an insured ride/driver within a few days it will be crushed (or sold at auction if valuable)..On top of that you'll incur a mandotary fine of at least £400 plus 9 points on your licence (12 points is a years ban)..
Just not worth the risk..Uninsured drivers here are rated as low as drunk-drivers and paedos:wink2:

Found this on the net.
"Privilege.
It's simple. A RIGHT is guaranteed and cannot be taken away.
I know of no guaranteed right that requires you to be A) schooled in, and B) successfully pass physical and written tests for.
I also know of no guaranteed right that you can C) be fined for, and lastly that D) can be taken away. "

They'll get their money believe me. Her job was called "subrogation".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subrogation

"Rights" are easily and legally curtailed under many circumstances. Plenty of traitors(?) eager to do it too.

Here in the UK the cop cars & roads are loaded with number-plate recognition cameras , if you pass one riding/driving an uninsured bike or car you will have it instantly impounded & unless its collected by an insured ride/driver within a few days it will be crushed

Well, yeah, but you're a subject of a monarchy. No rights at all as far as I know ;)

I have always been under the impression that a license to drive any motor vehicle on public through ways is a privilege, not a right.:wtf: I guess you do not really have to drive, as there are other means of transportation. I, personally, prefere to ferry myself around, in the privacy of my own vehicle. Not a big 'bus' fan at all. Although, having my privilege taken away at various time's in my life for being stupid & selfish, have used public transportation to get where I had to be. Glad it is there, for those less fortunate than myself.
That said, we are now having a rapidly growing problem of vigilanty-ism of people who take it upon themselves to block roadways, assault persons using that roadway, and feel justified in doing so. On the 6th of June, I was assaulted by just such a person, riding my scoot. Came running out of his house, blocked the roadway with his body, and proceeded to slam me in the head with a shovel, knocking me off the bike & into the hospital with a broken neck, half my scalp stiched back on, road rash on the arms & legs. The guy claim's he was " Protecting the children from speeders". Got a good friend, who also is a lawyer, working on this case. I saw another case on the local news on Friday of another guy doing the same thing, except he was using a pistol to get his point across. By the way, I just left the stop-lite and was in second gear. I am now trying to work all banged up, cause I gotta eat. Talk about bills, the ER alone was 18,000, not a good thing. I was really looking forward to a nice, calm summer of some quality riding time, now I gotta spend it in therapy(Physical Therapy). I don't know, getting pretty fed up with the way things are going around hear & the world. I don't like the cold, so I can not be a hermit on a mountain. Now they want to take my fire arm's away? Can you say Revolution? I feel it coming.:shrug:

Gordon, Holy shit! Sorry to hear that! I'm glad your alive. Something similar happened to my friend Dave about two months back. A guy ran out of his house onto the road when a group of riders went by and caused Dave to drive off the road and crash. Dave was going pretty damn slow and was okay so he got up and started chasing the guy on foot. The guy's neighbor was driving by and picked him up but he was later caught. People are losing it. I hope the guy who hit you gets locked up for a long time.

Thank you guy's for the comfort. I still have a hard time understanding how a person can be that angry, and take it out on someone totally unknown to him. My mouthpiece is looking for proof of negligence, instead of intent. If he proves intent, he will go to prison, and I get nothing, as far as compensation goes. Prove negligence, & it goes against his home-owners policy.
After I get his money then comes the revenge!!! No, only kidding. I really don't wish evil on the guy, just so he doesn't do it again. Hurt him where it really hurt's, in the wallet.:shrug:

To prove negligence, show that he wasn't wearing safety glasses like it says to on the shovel handle. To prove pain and suffering tell them you wake up now with night terrors where you're being scalped by Indians.

Thank you guy's for the comfort. I still have a hard time understanding how a person can be that angry, and take it out on someone totally unknown to him. My mouthpiece is looking for proof of negligence, instead of intent. If he proves intent, he will go to prison, and I get nothing, as far as compensation goes. Prove negligence, & it goes against his home-owners policy.
After I get his money then comes the revenge!!! No, only kidding. I really don't wish evil on the guy, just so he doesn't do it again. Hurt him where it really hurt's, in the wallet.:shrug:

Even if he goes to prison , can't you get a civil judgment against him? :confused:

Possibly pump's, that's what the lawyer is for.Xjwmx, too funny!!! LMFAO.What now, KIMOSABEE!.Only took 180 stitches to re-attach my scalp. Doc says to me the other day,"Your gonna have a scar". I just looked at him with that "Ya think" look on my face. He said that he thought I should know, from him.
Did not do allot of damage to the machine. Scuffed up the grips, broke the mirror's off, bent up the shifter and scuffed the left foot peg rubber up pretty good. All fixed, went for a ride yesterday. 65 mile's.Not so bad.

Gordon, I'm not a lawyer, but the way I see it, you should have two options: First is criminal prosecution of the vigilante -- and I'd go for attempted murder. This can and should be handled by the District Attorney. Second is a civil suit, which your legal beagle will file, seeking damages for pain and suffering as well as your medical bills, loss of income from job absence, and damage to your bike, etc. This is NOT double jeopardy -- you can do both. Look at what happened to O.J.

Regarding the concept of the "right" to drive, it doesn't exist. Why? Because you must obtain a license to drive. Once the gummint requires that you possess a license to perform any activity or to possess certain pieces of property, it means simply that, if you perform/possess it without one, you are in violation of the law. A neat and tidy legal device, and one that I find myself despising on many occasion.

To prove negligence, show that he wasn't wearing safety glasses like it says to on the shovel handle. To prove pain and suffering tell them you wake up now with night terrors where you're being scalped by Indians.

Gordon that is just fuc*ked. really sorry to hear that has happened to you...................xjwmx may not be far from the truth. you could also develop a deep seated fear of shovels and that stops you from digging your garden ( strain on finances), or doing maintainence around the house.

Back