When do you shut the doors???

member3480

RICH
Reaction score
I always shut down and just did my own work in DEC/JAN for years because you never did any business in DEC except for wives or girlfriend coming in for XMAS stuff and that didn't pay the electric. Now that I am retired somewhat I plan on doing the same but maybe DEC/JAN/FEB and just take a break. I only do bike work for friends and the only other work I do is the wire harnesses which like I said before is a NO PROFIT deal I just do it to keep active but next year I may just put that to the side too. Cost of parts and wire and time is getting too high and I am getting too old to deal anymore. I get two to five BUILD me A BIKE each month and I DON'T BUILD BIKES ANYMORE. The ones I work on are for me or my friends that's it.
Building a bike for a customer is tough and never goes right because of last minute changes and I think that's why most of these builder are going belly up and changing to just a product line. Not worth the money . Market is flooded with project bikes not done NO title and still want $1000. When you been in a business or industry like this for over 40 yrs you seen it all and just got to sit back and laugh. I am going to finish out what I took in and that will take me threw mid November and DEC 1 injoy the holidays.
Anyone want to take over doing the harnesses knock your socks off won't hurt my feelings.
So I ask the question when do you SHUT THE DOORS and take a break if you do....
Rich

Rich when ever the hell you want too you have erned it my man !! lol I don't do much for other people but the winter time is for my builds heating the shop is just too high I keep it just warm enough to keep the tools from rusting,
Take a brake if you need one so we'll have you here next year to pick your brain love ya man KEEP ON CHOPP'N

SHUT THE DOORS and take a break if you do.... Then really shut the door and take a much deserved and needed break.
I know i`m retiring in 3 1/2 more years if things go half way as planned and I`ll tell ya.
When I retire, thats it. I`m retiring, Time to (finish) and do my projects that I have been putting off forever to take care of someone else`s. Oh sure, there will be things for neighbors and family stuff, mainly on the emergency and case by case basis, so my answer is
You know brother, you retired, enjoy it. dont feel obligated to anyone but YOU.
Except the wives and girlfriends of course. *lol*
(Easier said than done right?)

...when do you SHUT THE DOORS and take a break ...

Down here, with the 11-1/2 month riding season, there's no door shutting.

In my case, the medical industry issued the orders.
I believe they've been knocking on your door?

Rich, I can tell you've got a class "A" personality. Active mind, lots of energy and drive.
Like having Top-fuel dragster thinkin' going on nonstop.
The challenge is how to refocus that without going stir-crazy (like cabin fever).

Time for some fresh air.

Could take a step back and ponder what else holds your interest, or where the market is headed, or where opportunities can be created.

I closed the doors at my big shop last year and took a little break but they just found me and keep coming HAHA
I have a couple projects that I am finishing up for myself and a friend and then that may be it for a while I got 7 grand kids and one more on the way and need to help out when I can with them so that's first.
One bike I am doing I got to change it up because its attracted to cars and has been in two bang ups so going to change it up so people see it and say WOW before they run over him LOL..... Just kidding Phil Hes a member and I have built for him before.
Some bikes just blend in and when you ride here in PA NJ NY you mean nothing to soccer moms and Dumb Ass people they just run over you. So you got to be seen or heard first and that's what we are doing. Bike was blue and now going to be BLACK and Chrome so you will see it and hear it. So that's it for me for the rest of the year now .

KEEP CHOPPIN
Rich

Hi DADDYGCYCLES, what was your shop, I will be in your part of the world, Haddonfield, mid 2016, was going to drop in and say G'Day from Down Under, I "might" even move Stateside ??? don't know, Daryl

My shop is closed but if you want to meet up we can always do that. My last shop in Cape May did both bikes and cars and now I just play and buy up xs650 parts and other bikes and sell on my ebay store or on here. 2016 I am just going to finish up a couple bikes for myself and build some motors.

Back