When is an XS too far gone?

rahndo

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
By the VIN its a 78-79 SF. Complete stock bike, been sitting outside for 5 years, so mucho corrosion. Rear wheel turns in neutral but cannot kick it over with the clutch pulled in. No evidence of water in the cranckcase on the dipstick. Turned over when he parked it, but would not fire....comes with extra front wheel as he was going to put it on the rear.

It would be turned into a street tracker.....

I can get it dirt cheap.....so is it worth working on, or just get it for the wheels and swingarm and keep looking for a runner, even if it has wire wheels?

post some pic's there never too far gone put some marvel mystery oil in the cylenders
and let it sit a few days then try to turn it over.

If it's cheap enough it could be worth it but it will take a lot to get going so be aware of that. I bought a runner and spent about $600 getting it to where I would feel safe riding it anywhere. It all depends on how much you want to do, if you shoprefer around you can find nice runners for reasonable prices.

If it has a title it's worth a few hundred bucks at least, no title and no picture I would say it's probably worth $200 as a parts bike.

Last edited:
Tried pics, keep getting improper format. Picture a bike with collapsed fork springs, rust all over the frame, alum corrosion on every thing alum. Brakes dont work, wiring still intact.

I am from Nor Cal, nothing is cheap. For instance.....good shape runnng bike...how much, $875. It runs, well as long as you keep the battery charged....

Hi rahndo,
go for it! There's folks that would pay $100 for a steering neck with sawzall marks on it so long as it had a title.

Put it on a centerstand and rock the rear tire back and forth to try to get into neutral. Put oil in cylinders and soak to try to break rings free.

A $100 cost is pretty close being free....easy decision if your looking for a project. Buy it, give it a bath and introduce it to your box of tools!

???.........What's with that "even if it has wire wheels" comment?

Did you think we wouldn't notice that? WIRE WHEELS ARE COOL.

XStretchified

doesn't take many "parts "to add up to $100. My take is if you have room to store it, buy it and keep looking for a runner. But yeah bad rust makes for a lot of junk to toss.

100 bucks for the title and neck alone is woth it.get it cut it up and find and running eng.
and you still have a lot of extra nuts and bolts and stuff...

If I lived there, for $100 I would have bought it myself and not looked back. He'd be posting up, "Somebody bought it out from under me!!!" :D

Seriously. I'd buy it and keep looking for a runner. In the mean time, tear into it and see what's up. As people said. Title and neck are worth the $100.

Back