Where did you mount your coil (hardtail)

mkesbest

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So im running into a road block/mental block as to where can mount my coil and keep it clean. 75 xs650. I windowed out the neck so would like to keep it clean up there. Anyone care to share some pictures of there set up, and where they mounted it? Im thinking possibly up front by the motor mount, as my rectifier will be up there as well... any ideas/input/inspiration is hugely appreciated. Think I may be able to get some spray paint on the frame this weekend for now... then it sits until rainy days :(

I ran a frisco style mustang tank so there was quite a bit of space under it so mine are in the OEM spot but mounted differently
15087093506_eb59b4bf38_z.jpg
[/url]coils xs650 007

Thanks Carbon, that's kind of what im trying to avoid however... I had the neck all cleaned up so rather not put anything up there if I don't have to... any side shots of yours? Its not a "show bike", kind of a turd, so I know this isn't a make/brake thing. But the way you have it may not look to bad... then again im trying to picture it from the side.

Too many... I was thinking of running it back there. I have a small box I had made for electrical... I could stick it under the box I suppose. I thought I read somewhere that you want the coil closer to the plugs if possible? That's not "too far" back there? Or I misread something.

Thanks for the pics guys... helps me greatly with brain farts.

what twomany suggests is a good spot. you could also put a little lower right where the reg/rec used to go since you are putting that up front.
plug wires don't have to be short. think how long some wires in cars are

Mine is under the tank, but far enough back and high enough that it's not in the area between the neck and tank. Had to notch out the tank around it however. In this picture its right behind the chrome petcock. You can kinda see the the spark plug wires coming off it.

CF20F248-2366-4A3D-BF8C-A9AF5CB0E9D1_zpszyl4gwex.jpg

IMG_3675_zpsth6b6mwz.jpg

Well that's where its going then (how too many xs suggested). Ill have to probably toss the motor in one more time to make sure nothing is in the way... Im thinking I can probably make a smaller bracket to utilize the holes on the coil to mount it. Glad I cut my plug wires long. Made my own from a lowbrow plug kit... split the difference, so I shouldn't have to worry there.

I have ran the coils on the backbone right above the REG/REC mount. I like the clean looking front.

Attachments

• xs650 w springer.jpg
    xs650 w springer.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 604
nice! yeah ill be doing mine in the back.. just have to now figure out a way to mount it. Thinking a couple little "L"s welded on an dshould be good to go. Thanks!

I line up the coil on backbone drill two holes threw it and make up spacers to keep it off backbone DONE!
1/4" round stock from LOWES works great

completely thru? Then just bolt on one side? I have some bungs.. maybe ill get fancy and weld them in... I already have a ton of grinding to do anyways :bike:

I like the hidden electrical too. I've put it under the carbs on a custom mount that goes over the motor mount. I was worried that it could be warm in this location, but upon trying it out, feeling it, and measuring the temp a few times, it seems like it's doing okay.

Attachments

• 20150328_212234.jpg
    20150328_212234.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 352
Back