Where is Aus can I get a rear brake drum?

pristic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As mentioned previously I broke my rear brake.
It's the part on the right (rear brake hub?)

Anyone in Aus have a spare?
Anyone know where in Aus I can by one?
Welding mine prolly isn't worth the trouble but ill do that if I have to.

Oh, it's a 1981 model. The drums don't suit from earlier bike do they?

Thanks!
Peter

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
Howdy again,

Ok, grabbed the rear brake hub/plate thingo... now, wondering - what is the size of the stud that the brake actuator goes onto?
The splined one (when you press the brake pedal it pushes the rod which pushes the arm which sits on the stud/spline part.

Mine is twisted and snapped off... so need to get a new stud spline for it.

To help, the part I need is the one on the left in this picture...

xsparts016.jpg

NOTE: Internet photo not mine.

Cheers,
Peter

It should be included with the backing plate that you just purchased from Peter Kommer. Make sure it is included before he sends it.

I spoke to him and he has one WITHOUT the stud... he told me that immediately on the call so all ok...

I figured I could find the size and smack it in there... someone out there must know the dimensions of it... Anyone have details? I actually need to know the size of the plate really, I could actually use any spline and arm t suit the spline... might have to just measure when I get it, then borrow a friends lathe I guess.

Would love to know the dimensions if anyone knows though...

Cheers,
Peter

Hey pristic, been there, snapped-off the same thing on my panhead 40 years ago. Hard to find, and a hardened part as well. XS650 oem "brake cam" appears often on eBay, not too expensive. A hardened part, lathe will need tool-post grinder and/or carbide bits. You probably already know this, but to avoid potential (and rare, but not for me) rear brake chirp, followed by brake cam breakage, apply brakes before and during tightening rear axle.

Can't you get the dimensions from your existing part(s), or are they still scattered along the road?

Hey two many. I can measure what's left. I think I'll get it sorted. The lathing isn't a prob. My mate does that for a living. Ill enlist him. Will post details of what I use and how it goes.

Posted via Mobile

The original "brake cam" usually has 1 or 2 missing spline cuts, so that the actuating arm will go in only one way. Not really important, but mis-indexing can happen. I have "dremel ground" the missing spline notches in the past so I could index the arm differently. Just something to watch for. Also, there were different brake cams on the xs, gotta watch the inner spacing, later models had a ramp for the brake warning...

LoL. Knew he could sort you out !! pretty amazing out there hay !! and yeah he is a top bloke !! I've purchase many parts from him for the 4 bikes I'm currently building.

Anyways, Stoked he could sort you out Man !!

LoL. Knew he could sort you out !! pretty amazing out there hay !! and yeah he is a top bloke !! I've purchase many parts from him for the 4 bikes I'm currently building.

Anyways, Stoked he could sort you out Man !!
....................... hi you could try peter kommer,,,,, he,s got alot of stock regards oldgrumpy

Back