which groove on new needles?

yamaharichey

XS650 Member
Reaction score
O.K. another question for my 80 XS650. Stock BS34 carbs, stock air filters, shorty mufflers with baffles. I ordered new slide needles from
mikes XS, it says they were for the 1980 Canadian model so they are a little richer. So which groove do you gentlemen recommend I start with.

No I did not order matching nozzles, you say its important so should I order them from Mikes XS? and do you happen to have a part number? and yes those are the same baffles in put in my shortys. and thanks for the help

Carb jetting and tuning for mods is all about experimenting, so you could try the Canadian needle with your stock Y-0 needle jet. Yes, it is recommended to run that new adjustable needle with its supposedly matching 336-Y-0 Canadian needle jet, but like I said, this carb tuning thing is all about experimenting to find what works best.

If you understand how needle jet sizes are designated, then you would know that the Y-0 indicates the orifice size of the jet. So, since both of these jets are labeled Y-0, what makes them different? The number of air bleed holes down their sides. The stock Y-0 has rows of 3 and 4 holes, the Canadian 336-Y-0 has rows of 4 and 5 holes. So technically, that makes the 336 version leaner, but combined with the much richer Canadian needle, the overall result is still a richer running combination than stock.

The 5IX11 Canadian needle is so much richer because its shorter. The stock 5HX12 needle measures about 50mm from the clip slot to the tip. The 5IX11 measures about 50mm from its top clip slot to the tip. That means running it in its center slot will raise it 2mm compared to the stock needle.

The BS34 needle jet is enclosed by the carb body and is installed and removed through the venturi. To remove it, install a main jet and push the needle jet up; if necessary, tap it gently with a plastic drift until the needle jet comes free, using solvent and penetrating oil as needed. In reassembly, the BS34 needle jet is aligned by a pin in the carb body which matches a groove in the jet. Be sure they are lined up correctly before trying to seat the jet.

The main jet screws into the bottom of the needle jet and that's what holds it in the carb body. Remove the main and the thick washer under it. This is what you'll see. That's the bottom of the needle jet peeking out at you .....

NeedleJetHole.jpg

Now, you can thread the main back in a few threads and tap on it but that will only drive the needle jet up maybe 1/4" at most before the main is flush with the jet tower and you can't hit it anymore. Many times the needle jet is still stuck in the body at this point. I use about a 1" to 2" long M5 screw or bolt. This is long enough to drive the needle jet completely out. The thread pitch on the Mikuni main is .7mm. The thread pitch on a standard M5 screw or bolt is .8mm, but it will thread in a couple threads, enough to hold it so you can tap on it. Just don't force the screw/bolt in any more once the threads start binding.

So 5t. Overall with cdn needle and needle jet with cdn needle on leanest setting which almost matches the stock fixed needles position, is it leaner because of the emulsion tube or is the taper of the cdn needle richer over all than the fixed ones taper. ?

I'm afraid I can't answer that. I didn't compare the tapers that closely on the set I installed for a guy, just checked the length as compared to stock. The bike was sold to somebody out of state shortly after completion so I don't think I'll be seeing it again.

What I have been comparing are the generic Y265 and Y267 needles that come in the CruzinImage kit to some of the stock ones. The Y267 appears to be a dead ringer for the '78-'79 5O2. The Y265 is the same length as the stock BS34 5HX12 but has a taper that more closely resembles the XS400 5Z1 .....

KitNeedles.jpg

KitNeedleTips.jpg

I haven't tried any of these yet but the kit gives two more needle options for the BS34s. The kit also includes needle jets but they're unmarked. I would assume they're close to the size of the originals, or at least I'd hope so. This is quite the kit. It gives you so much more than the kit from Mike's at about the same cost.

That is great info though. Almost got this rich over lap kicked in the nuts. Ran out of time with winter. Cdn needles as needle jets and some determination.

Are those ebay kits or what ?

To bad. I just ordered 2nd os from him. Also good to know that I have a set of 79 needles in the jet drawer to experiment with too.

That picture you posted is awesome though.

The 5O2's would definitely run leaner for you as they have a much blunter point than the normal BS34 needles. Something to keep in mind is that even though sustained slide lift doesn't occur on these CV carbs until up near 4K, the slides do jump open momentarily when you whack the throttle open as you take off. That means the needle tip, or at least the area near it, is coming into play. That could be the cause of that richness you're battling. Maybe the 5O2, 5Z1, Y265, or the Y267 would help.

Boo yah. Exact problem I have been battling. I can go from a stop fine or roll the throttle and get through it fine even a faster roll. But a good abrupt one will cut out. Gets worse as more fuel from bigger mains is added.

Back