Which ignition system are you running on your XS650?

Which ignition system are you running on your main ride?

• Stock points

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • Stock TCI

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • PAMCO

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • Boyer Bransden

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.1%

• Total voters

pamcopete

Ride.Enjoy.Life is Simple
Reaction score
This poll is for the XS650 you ride most often even if it is in the shop getting its winter maintenance.

Last edited:
In the stock engine, currently in my 1977 Standard, I have the stock points system.

In the 277 deg rephased/ 750/ Shell#1/ Mikuni 34 Flatslide engine I am building, I went for an Ignitech system, together with a Powerdynamo PMA. There are severeral features in this system that I plan on utilizing;programmable advance curve, rev limiter, shiftlight output etc. I also have some nice "Mule" cam end caps I want to use, and these require a crank triggered ignition.

Pamco. Also used another one once. It seemed like a nice system too. Cant remember the name. You could retard and advance a little bit with buttons on the black box to fine tune too. And had an option of a rev limiter too i belive.

Posted via Mobile

Pamco all the way on both my xs650s, plus will do a Pamco on the one in pieces in the corner of my garage.

PLUS! Doing a Pamco on the cb750 I'm restoring right now.

I run Electrex world system on mine, I'll be buying another for the one I'm building as well.

Ran a PAMCO with ATU. Up grading to a PAMCO w/ E-advance.

im running stock magic box on my 80, but have installed a pamco on a '71. bugger wouldn't start, the points plate was beyond my scope. installed pamco, started and idled instantly. If my black box gives up, deffinately getting a pamco.

Points, TCI, Pamcos, even a Martek!
But if the stock system has issues and I have the time, it gets a pamco with e-advance.

I run points because I grew up with points and understand them. If there is a points related problem on the road I can probably deal with it. I read so many posts about fried circuit boards, etc. with the various electronic systems that I'm leery of them. I know that's unfair to you Pete and the others since usually only the people having problems are motivated enough to post their comments. I'm fairly sure my XS's would run stronger with modern ignitions but.............:shrug:

And yes, I do realize that two of my current four bikes have electronic ignitions.

roy

Last edited:
I run points because I grew up with points and understand them. If there is a points related problem on the road I can probably deal with it. I read so many posts about fried circuit boards, etc. with the various electronic systems that I'm leery of them. I know that's unfair to you Pete and the others since usually only the people having problems are motivated enough to post their comments. I'm fairly sure my XS's would run stronger with modern ignitions but.............:shrug:

And yes, I do realize that two of my current four bikes have electronic ignitions.

roy

Twice over!

Back