which model seats fit the xs650?

wow !...... There are a few vehicles I'd love to ship but I doubt I'll afford it now on my pension lol
Excellent shipping container setup first rate

the bosshoss shipping crate cost $600 took me and a neighbour 2 hours to cut it out .
did this star n bar saddle for B&H motorcycles a couple of years back .
me next to the boss 12 years ago now

Attachments

• 88 (1).jpg
    88 (1).jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 180612_180413768666434_6483239_n.jpg
    180612_180413768666434_6483239_n.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 132
  • CIMG2335 (1).JPG
    CIMG2335 (1).JPG
    280 KB · Views: 110
that engine is outrageous !... it must be like strapping your arse to a rocket :)

The crate is amazing .. too good for a regular shipping company.

that engine is outrageous !... it must be like strapping your arse to a rocket :)

The crate is amazing .. too good for a regular shipping company.
it was like riding a regular harley but straight line riding , it was the small block chevy zz4 corvette engine 2 speed semi auto with reverse sounded awesome we currently pay around £1.12 per litre it did 17 miles to the gallon in first gear and 30 to the gallon in 2nd it had an 8 gallon tank and a 2 gallon reserve under the pillion seat.

hi there thanks i cant use my original seat as it has the extra raised profile. the turned up rear to allows the brake light to sit there at the rear of the seat . thats why ive bought another to recover, not sure if you meant this ? but really appreciate the reply questions.
if i'm successful i'll post either way, if it can help someone else all the better got a bit of a fight on my hands as i'd already bought a new cafe racer style seat i thought would drop on job done. but it came too small not as advertised damaged and parts missing .

great job lot of work i haven't tried my hand at metalwork all though i'm very practical minded ,I would like to learn to weld .
did think about fashioning a seat base of my design out of fiberglass maybe i'll do it if this old seat base doesn't work out .

You can transfer the fork that secures the front of your existing seat to a side hinged seat. Add or change a couple of the rubber bumpers to level it out and then figure a way to secure the rear down. Next, you'll need to go with an earlier tail light. It can be done.

You can transfer the fork that secures the front of your existing seat to a side hinged seat. Add or change a couple of the rubber bumpers to level it out and then figure a way to secure the rear down. Next, you'll need to go with an earlier tail light. It can be done.
THANKS ,YOUR BANG ON THE MONEY THERE ! im contemplating doing that with the brackets and rubbers already got me taillight sorted .

At the rear of the older model Special seat pan, you'll see a hole right in the middle. That hole sits right above the rear rail center. I fashioned a bolt to go down that hole and drilled a spot in the top of the rail, not all the way through, for it to slip into. So, a bolt and washer above the seat pan, a washer, lock washer and bolt below. Gravity and friction hold it down, along with an adjustable bungee towards the rear of the seat that I keep on for whatever's.

Skull, I converted my '83 over using the bottom pan in your pics. The one with the square punched into the metal. Fact, I've made two for the '83 that I can swap back and forth......different upholstery for different days........maybe I'll sell one.......lol. Of course, had to grind a bit of metal off the rail .....two flats at the back on the rail and the mechanism for the lift off catch, and now there's no going back to the lift off seat. Hate them seats anyway.

yes i understand that have had a few thoughts on fixings myself using the front fork from the original seat and at the rear pre drilling the base with a two long bolts to locate in to the frame or a bolted bracket across but your idea is clever and fairly quick .

If you get the seat pan set up in the rear with the bolt into the rail, you can set the forks in the front and adjust them for a good fit before drilling and bolting them to the pan.......you almost need a third hand to hold the fork where you want it and then lift the seat off the rail .........measure twice, drill once.

Weekendrider had posted some pics for me in a thread somewhere that showed the bolt, fork placement and the rubber bumpers ....of wich I added one in a strategic place in the mix. I dunno where it is......lol

That looks perfect Maurice

(gorgeous bike by the way :thumbsup:) Your picture has inspired me to finish off my bike and get it on the road !

Coincidentally I saw an advert today for hand made covers for SR500 and it said they could be adapted to xs650.
Your seat is exactly what I'm looking for . Its way better looking than most roadster seats for sure and I don't mind a bit of fabricating and welding now I have a Mig :wink2:
hi peanut saw you in somerset uk if you need any upholstery advice ive been in the trade for 45 years since i was 15 been doing motorcycle seats for B&h motorcycle in whitemoor cornwall for 12 years have a look at their website some of mine are on his new build bikes .
regards Brian hogfest50

If you get the seat pan set up in the rear with the bolt into the rail, you can set the forks in the front and adjust them for a good fit before drilling and bolting them to the pan.......you almost need a third hand to hold the fork where you want it and then lift the seat off the rail .........measure twice, drill once.

Weekendrider had posted some pics for me in a thread somewhere that showed the bolt, fork placement and the rubber bumpers ....of wich I added one in a strategic place in the mix. I dunno where it is......lol
my motto in my trade being upholstery is exactly that measure twice cut once!

sometimes its good to hear advice it inspires !

hi peanut saw you in somerset uk if you need any upholstery advice ive been in the trade for 45 years since i was 15 been doing motorcycle seats for B&h motorcycle in whitemoor cornwall for 12 years have a look at their website some of mine are on his new build bikes .
regards Brian hogfest50
thanks brian I might take you up on that kind offer .

I know exactly what I want ...its a copy of a seat I saw on another members cafe racer but I'm danged if I can remember who it was now.
When I find the picture I see if you might be willing to create a cover for me.

I see you are not too far from Foyey where we kayak sometimes. Next time I'm down that way I'll look you up.

thanks brian I might take you up on that kind offer .

I know exactly what I want ...its a copy of a seat I saw on another members cafe racer but I'm danged if I can remember who it was now.
When I find the picture I see if you might be willing to create a cover for me.

I see you are not too far from Foyey where we kayak sometimes. Next time I'm down that way I'll look you up.
yes please do i'm not far from fowey ,ive got my old replacement seat base come today ive got it stripped off .
will be using the forked front bracket off the old seat ,its pretty rusty so will hammerite it first before refoaming .
trying to come up with an easy on easy off idea to fix the back down its pretty stable side to side its sits on the existing mounts.
on the sides of the frame so could be put back more fettling to do but getting there.
on foaming i use a heavy grade chip foam with a high resilient topping then the pre sewn up cover on top .
i usually flute them so adds to the look and comfort want to keep it low ish too low can be uncomfortable in the groin .
i know what i want so should be straightforward enough i will be posting pictures of it all so if that helps anyone all the better.

Back