Which order to go in?

motorbreath

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So i just got finished tearing my engine apart and i intend to send my crank/cam to hughs for rephasing, i also intend to do the magneto swap to, and id have to buy the pamco, i was just wondering how i should put this all back together and time it, ill put the crank/cam in then once thats in ill put the pamco unit in and time it, then should i go ahead and throw the magneto on? thats just how i figured it should b done, any advice

You need all of them to make the bike run. For order you need your crank finished before you can seal up the bottom end. You need the camshaft finished before you seal up the top end. And you can add the pamco after the motor is completely reassembled.

start with cleaning up all the parts for reassembly. like CoastsideXS650 said you you will need all to make the engine run. send the cam and crank to Hugh,then buy the mag from Hugh ,get the correct pamco kit for your 1980 rephased engine you will be putting the bottom end together first,then the top end,you can put on the mag before the top end if you want. then after the top end is together you can install the pamco.I like to have all the parts that are needed to do what ever job that i do there when i start the job. Ed

so do you guys think it would be easier if i just built the engine with the cam/crank done, then once its all together put on the pamco then time that, then move to the magneto then time that also? if i put it together as i go would it be hard to time the stuff cause thats the only thing im really worried about is timing

If you are defenitely going to be doing the rephase then you need to have that done and your motor assembled first or you will be buying 2 different Pamco kits. Then the first consideration would be if you have a functioning charging system, if not I would do the PMA next. The order I did my stock engine was PMA first then the Pamco since I had no charging system or ignition. Timing a PMA is easy. You can either use the sticker that Hugh offers or you can relocate your existing timing tab if you have one and it is removable. Using a home made piston stop (made from an old spark plug and a bolt, good examples around here) find your TDC and make the mark on the flywheel. Being a rephase does add a little bit of variation to it because the Pamco does have provisions for different methods of doing a rephase and 2 sensors (1 for each coil).

ippytattoo, how much did you spend on your part for the PMA swap, or do you think i should buy hughs?
Also your saying, Complete engine build with rephasing, install the PMA, and then the pamco ignition last

ippytattoo, how much did you spend on your part for the PMA swap, or do you think i should buy hughs?
Also your saying, Complete engine build with rephasing, install the PMA, and then the pamco ignition last

if your stock alterator still works them you don't need a change yet.
with the rephaze you will need pamco to get the engine to run again
there are cheeper PMAs out there but with the Hughs PMA you get a good product and Hughs support too.

If you have a good charging system do the engine, Pamco and then the PMA. I spent right at $190 on all the parts but the experience is priceless. Honestly it probably would have been much simpler to use Hugh's.

Back