Which pamco combo to get?

maxwell

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So i pm'ed pamco pete about getting rid of my old points and asked him the most effective, least expensive way to make it happen. he suggested the 142 dollar kit (Part #14-0901) with Basic trigger assembly ( XS#14-0900 ) Dual output performance
Ignition Coil with plug wires (20" ea.) and Two 5K NGK Spark Plug Caps (XS#23-3113)..

what are you folks running and why? is the above mentioned kit feasible? will it work? i finally saved up a couple hundred bucks and have some spendin change ;)

Pamco w/ ultimate coil. Why? TCI failed and didn't want to replace the TCI with another 30 yr old TCI. Heard gret things about the Pamco and ordered one with the green coil from Mikes. When I opened the box Lo and behold there was the ultimate coil and not the green coil! Bonus! Will it work OHHHHH Yeahhhh. Set and forget. Almost any coil is better than the stock coil. Pete knows his stuff and backs it up if needed.

i would go the $142 set up ,,,its great buying and value,,, not too mention quality,,,,,,,,,,,,, have not got mine because of lack of ccccash but will get it soooooon regards oldbiker

You can just get the Pamco ignition unit then buy your own coil, plug wires, and caps - but you probably won't save much, if any, money. It's probably best to just get the kit. The coil is a no-name Chicom no doubt but it could last you forever, maybe crap out in a month. You know how their quality is, hit and miss.

I got my Pamco early on before kits were offered so I had to supply my own coil, wires, and caps. I got a coil for about $25 off eBay, wires and caps for maybe another $10, so as you can see, I didn't save much over the kit cost. I do have a nice brand name Andrews coil though, lol.

Well, i have the money for the green coil.. is it worth the extra dough to go that route?

I bought the green coil kit and received it today...it has what appears to be the Ultimate High Output (black) coil? I've got a 1979 motor. I tell you I'd rather have the "green monster", but if this coil is ok I'll just keep it instead of messing with a return.

I have the basic Pamco kit from Mike's and I am very satisfied with it. It is a world better in starting and running than the stock 32 year old components.

I ordered the Ultimate kit over the weekend as soon as they became available. If I'd ordered the Green Monster kit instead, I woulda saved some $$ and probably woulda got the ultimate one instead.
014.gif

But hey...I'm just happy I've got one coming. It's a great product and I can't wait to install it. Yee-haaaa!:)

Back